Friday, December 15, 2006

Leland's AIDS Quilt


My cousin Leland died of AIDS in 1996. His quilt was one of several AIDS Quilts on display at Missouri State University this week. He lived in Springfield and worked at KSPR 33 for many years. While at MSU to see the quilt, I met someone there who knew him for many years. In fact, she knew many of the Springfield people who had died of AIDS.

Leland was a very soft spirit – giving and gracious. People always say things like that about folks who have passed away. In this case, it was very true. He loved cats (having many of them) and he was very accepting of other people. He had his habits too. You never waited for Leland to arrive before you started a party. You would wait and wait. That guy, God love him, could never get anywhere on time. He was the lolling gaggingist thing ever was. He was lovable just the same. I’ve never seen his quilt before, but I’m glad I finally did.

No comments: