Saturday, May 19, 2007

I Know. I'm a Mess

Why don’t clothes washers come with alarms? Driers have them to remind us to take the clothes out. What I need is a washer with an alarm to remind me to finish a job that I started. In the 20 minutes that it takes to wash clothes, I have completely forgotten what I was doing and have moved on to other projects. It’s maddening. I can’t tell you how many times I have left a load of clothes in the washer overnight because I forgot I was doing laundry. The clothes don’t smell so good after they’ve sat in a wet lump for eight hours or more. Then I end up having to rewash them the next day.

Actually, what usually happens is my wife gets ready to do laundry and discovers my poor attempt at doing household chores. So she ends up finishing my job. You might think that would work to my advantage and I suppose it does sometimes. But then when she goes out of town and I need clothes for the next few days … well, I end up putting old clothes in the drier to fluff them up. My mother would be so proud.

All I need is an alarm on a washer. [sigh]. My wife and daughter are on a girl scout overnight. They are camping out at Wonders of Wildlife. Me? I need clothes for today and all I have to show for my work is a washer full of wet jeans. At least I picked up all the dirty clothes in the house and sorted them. I even did some dishes. Crap. That reminds me, I have a load of dishes in the dishwasher that need to be put away.

3 comments:

The Lorax said...

You're among friends, Jack. It's ok to be male. Thump your chest a bit, open a beer and go mow the lawn or something to man up. =)

And try to better next time. That's my line (and I mean it).

Anonymous said...

Good news Chris! There is actually a washer that sounds an alarm when the load is done. You have the option of turning it off which my husband does sometimes and ticks me off because I forget what I'm doing. I'm just getting old!

Sky Girl said...

So I'm about to leave a comment that my husband does this too, and what do I see? My husband, bragging about his escapades, has beat me here.