Sunday, August 05, 2007

More About Harry Potter

Harry Potter is not considered an abomination by all who practice the Christian faith. This morning our assistant minister mentioned in service that she got the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows book. She was excited to read it, but hadn't had a chance yet. I thought it deserved mentioning considering how vehemently the majority of the religious right condemn the book. Of course our church has moved on from the middle ages. We even have a female minister [gasp!]

7 comments:

Unknown said...

What does the term Religious Right mean? Does it mean those of us that are both Christian and conservative? Are there certain criteria to be the Religious Right? Just curious.

admin said...

I'm surprised you are confused by the label. If you want more information you can look it up on Wikipedia.

The Lorax said...

Maybe religious wrong would have been more clear. =)

Sky Girl said...

Great post. I've long been perplexed by the idea that some members of the religious right (if you belong, you will know who your are) are afraid that if their children read Harry Potter they will grow up to own blast-ended skrewts, ride Hippogriffs, grow mandrakes, and create Horcruxes.

MoJoe said...

Harry Potter is a ripoff. The Religious Right told me the books teach witchcraft, which is something I want to learn. I didn't learn one freaking good spell from any of those books.

Sky Girl said...

But I am in need of a good Hippogriff and also some Polyjuice Potion, so if someone from the religios right could tell me where their kids get that stuff, I'd be grateful.

Unknown said...

I was serious about finding your definition of the "religious right". You have made a box that with "the majority of the religious right condemn the book" and I want to know if I am suppose to get in it or not.