Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Put Some Haters on the Front Page

“The only way you can have peace with Islam is if you convert,” said Walid Shoebat in a story by the Springfield News-Leader. Obviously, he should know because he is an Islamic terrorist-turned-Christian. He was in Springfield on Sunday spouting his newest-found fanaticism. Why fanaticism? He also said, according to the N-L, that Islam is the devil.

[gasp]. It may be shocking to you to discover that he also had copies of his two books on hand. Apparently, Shoebat also said that his message should be heard nationwide. Sure he does, he has books to sell and speaking engagements to secure. Seems a good gig for a former “terrorist”. So he says anyway. I bet he’s making the money.

This was the big headline on Monday and I think it only serves to put fear in the hearts of many and spread the idea that Christianity is the one true religion and all others are the makings of Satan his red self. There are plenty who will take the bait and keep right on promoting their version of fanaticism and hatred all in the name of Christian love. How many people have died in the name of Christ over the last millennium? Plenty.

I am a Christian but I am not a fundamentalist fanatic. It irks me when people hate in the name of God. If the moderate Islamists were not afraid of reprisals, I’m sure they would say the same. Who would? If you local paper put this kind of crap about how your religion is of the devil (insinuating that all members of your religion are out to kill you) would you be willing to be identified? I’d be scared, especially around here.

And people say the media is liberal. I do not think a liberal paper would put this kind of story on the front page. The media, by the way, is out for its own interests. Period. The liberal media is a myth perpetuated by … oh who cares?


Update:
Today's N-L had a Letter to the Editor rebuffing the whole story. Read it here and be sure to check out the comments.

4 comments:

Sky Girl said...

When I first heard this "ex-terrorist" was coming to town to talk, my first thought was if he used to be a "terrorist" doesn't that mean he killed people or helped to kill people? Why is he on the lecture-circuit rather than in jail?

Anonymous said...

There are a lot of people who should be in jail out on the lecture circuit or running for public office. This guy is nothing new.

Sky Girl said...

I disagree. Claiming to have been a "terrorist" puts this guy in a totally different category than people running for office (some of whom I don't disagree have done offensive and/or illegal things).

Anonymous said...

Jack... I finally replied to your comment on Rhetorica (been suuuuper busy) re: Shoebat and the N-L. Here's what I wrote:

"Jack... What I found fascinating about the article was the N-L's credulity. Google Shoebat and see what comes up. His book is self-published. Has anyone checked out this guy's story. Not that I can see. And there's evidence within in to suggest he's not who/what he says he is, e.g. a Jihadist married to a Christian? Hmmmmmm... seems fishy to me."

If the N-L had done a proper job of reporting, they would have tried to check this guy out. But a Lexis search I did demonstrates that most newspapers that have run stories on the guy fail to ask even basic questions about his background and story.

Man, I be handin' out lots o' C- grades these days :-)