Saturday, October 06, 2007

On Hurting Your Friends

Being a big mouth can be a lot of fun. You can get a lot of laughs from people and some “Amens” now and again. It can be fun to have opinions and debate and talk and whatnot. The problem is, folks such as myself can tend to go overboard when having fun. I hate it when a joke, jab, or a little needling turns into a nasty jab, which leads to a softball-sized bruise on the side of a good friend. It is so easy to get carried away.

I sure did step into a pile of poo the other day when I took a lengthy needle too far. I was picking on a friend. You know how boys are when they start insulting and punching one another in a friendly little game of play? Well he kept within the rules. I did not. I hit too hard and left a whelp and now I feel like crap.

He reads my blog so I thought I would give a good old public “shame on me” just to show that I understand how I make mistakes too. I figure a blog is a good place for this, as I routinely use it to criticize other people’s ideas and philosophies. So I am not so enlightened and above criticism.

He brought up an excellent point. He wondered why I did that to him but not someone else who was nearby? That’s because he and I are great friends and I took that as a pass to pick on him too hard. Isn’t there some quote about hurting the ones you love?

The good part is that this friend cared enough about our relationship to sit me down and tell me how hefelt. I really hate those discussions because you can’t get away. You have to sit there and eat your crow and know that you’ve been naughty. I am not good at that, but I took it like a man. I had to. I deserved every bit of his kind and compassionate words. I deserved more, actually, but he’s too classy for that. Good thing for me, huh?

So this old left-leaner can be intolerant and sharp. I guess it just goes to show that we can all misspeak. I just wish I hadn’t done it to such a good friend. I'm also lucky that he is not the type to hold grudges.

He knows who he is. The private apology has already been delivered, but I thought a public one was needed just to remind me of the power of words and that my mouth can get me into trouble.

Sorry, old friend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At least you admit it when you are wrong. Good for you, Jack.