Monday, February 27, 2006

The Pre-Oscars

Oscar is getting the polish and the red carpet is being hauled out of the closet for yet another year of the Academy Awards. It’s time to celebrate the making of film. Of course some argue that the Oscars is no longer about the movies, but about the politics of movies. Maybe so, but I enjoy the celebration none-the--less.

For many years, Kathy and I have had a couple of movie lovers over to see just how things play out. Jon Stewart, host of the very clever fake newscast, The Daily Show, will be main stage for the red carpet ride this year and it should prove to be a very interesting time. His humor is very politically tied, so we will see if he sheds that for more movie-oriented fodder.

Either way, there are a couple of Christian Conservatives and a couple of Liberals who come to my home for Oscar time. So this should be a fireball of the thing to watch. I hope we can, indeed, hear the television.

So to celebrate the season, I have decided to offer you some of the wonderful movie sites out there, broken down by category. If any of you have some movie websites that I need to know of, please let me know.


CRITIQUE
Roger Ebert website
Rotten Tomatoes
Mike Cullinan’s Blog, Entertain Me

MOVIE INFO & TRAILERS
Apple’s Movie Trailers
Internet Movie Database (IMDb)

MOVIE RENTALS
Netflix (If you haven’t used the free trial, you are insane in the membrane.)

MOVIE THEATRES & SHOWTIMES
The Moxie
Springfield 8
Campbell 16
The Palace
Springfield Movie Pages

By the way, I really think that Crash should win Best Picture. It is a brave and wonderful film. I suspect, however, that Brokeback Mountain might win. I think that Best Actor is between Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman, but I still have not made up my mind on my pick. I saw Murderball at The Moxie and it was a powerful documentary – very well done. I also saw March of the Penguins and Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room on DVD at home. God Bless Netflix. They were both fine films, but not, in my opinion, as good as Murderball.

I saw two of the three nominations for Animated Feature: Wallace & Gromit: the Curse of the Were-Rabbit and Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride. I was not able to see Howl’s Moving Castle, although I really like director Hayao Miyazaki’s work. I especially loved Spirited Away. While I like Wallace & Gromit, Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride really did it for me, more so than his other animated feature films, so it is my pick for Animated Feature. I have Hustle and Flow at home right now (another Kudos to Netflix) and am hoping to see before Sunday.

Until I see you on the other side of the red carpet, enjoy the popcorn.

No comments: