Sunday, October 22, 2006

Yap, Yap, Yap

Education majors are the talkingist groups of people I have ever seen. They yip and yap and carry on in the middle of lecture like no other group of people I have seen before. It’s not only rude but also very distracting and for some reason may of the professors say nothing about it.

Now I have noticed that people carry in during class like nobody’s business, but I hadn’t put together who many of those people were until my friend, Heavy P who is also going back to get his Master’s degree in education, pointed it out to me. The worst offenders are education majors. That just befuddles me, but so far his observation is proving true. I have several education classes this semester and I am amazed how much talking goes on.

One instructor has called on one particular offender and mentioned that he is going to answer her question if she’s ready. You know what, that didn’t detour her in the least bit. He answered her question and she went right back to yapping her damn head off.

Now it deserves mentioning that I may refer to these offenders as “she”. However you shouldn’t infer anything by that. The vast majority of people in education classes are female and so that is going to naturally occur. That is not to say that the only yappers in college are ladies. Actually I think it has more to do with the independent and personality of those who choose education. Education majors may tend to be more outgoing, talkative, independent and instructional (in that they will help or tutor their neighbors).

Now I don’t talk out of turn in class, but I think that has more to do with my age. I am a talker by nature. I have to say that it would seem that the future teachers might want to show more respect for their teacher. I don’t want my students to have conversations when I am talking or giving instructions. I do expect interaction and I promote collaboration, just not when I’m speaking. I wonder how these honkers will react when their students yip and yap?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wiat tell you start teaching and have to go to an after school meeting. Teachers are the worst about talking then also. I know from experiecne. Some of this though is do to the fact that you have not talked to an adult all day. But most of it is that teachers are the worst about shutting up.

J Phillips said...

are you a teacher?