Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Is the Devil Mad that God Killed the Dinosaurs?

My daughter (6-years-old) has made some serious life choices over the past few months and she is also starting to question things she has learned. We are excited and terrified all at the same time.

First off, she has decided to be a scientist like our friend, Stacy, and my biology teacher, Gigi. I say Gigi because that is how she introduced herself to my daughter when they first met. I would not address my professor by her nickname unless she specifically told me to. Anyway, my kiddo thinks that science is great, and we need more female scientists and mathematicians in the world.

Her spiritual sponsor at church gave her a dinosaur egg the other day. At our church, all the children have anonymous spiritual sponsors that write them notes, cards, and offer small gifts to make the child feel special. This little egg has given my daughter a week’s worth of discovery and wonderment. You put the egg, which is bigger than a chicken egg, in a large container of water. After about 48 hours or so, the dinosaur hatches from the egg. It’s a pretty slow process so you can watch it hatch – very cool. We think we have a triceratops, but we are not sure. It makes my daughter feel like a real scientist watching – as she calls it – her experiment.

Speaking of dinosaurs, my little cub wants to know why God killed the dinosaurs and if that made the Devil mad. That is a big question to answer and the funny thing about it is she never trusts what I tell her. She wants to check it out with the preacher first. I suppose that’s a good thing and it will benefit her later. She also doesn’t believe me when I tell her that the Devil was one of God’s angels way back when. She just cannot comprehend that. While we are at it, she wants to know why the Devil is red and has horns. More questions for me and ultimately for the old preacher man.

She has also decided that she wants to be baptized when she is 16 years old. We’ve told her that she could do this much earlier (11 or 12) but she says that 16 is the age. She also wants to be baptized by Johnny. I could not figure this one out. Who is Johnny? We don’t have a preacher named Johnny or any church staff by that name. I can’t think of anyone at church who is known as Johnny. My wife finally let me in on it: Johnny The Baptist. She has learned about John the Baptist and she wants to be baptized by him.

This past Sunday she was looking at the tithing envelope. She decided to give money herself, so she used her change from her purse. She put the 28 cents in the envelope then asked what the “designation” was about. My wife told her that line was used if you want your money to go to a certain thing like mission trips, Sunday school, or another project. My daughter happily wrote our preacher’s name on the envelope and sent it in. Now that has got to make a preacher feel loved.

It’s been an inquisitive time at our house lately.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We believe, as shown in Genesis, that God had intended for man to rule over the planet and all it's inhabitants.

Genesis 1:26
Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

Genesis 1:28
And God blessed them. And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.” (ESV)

Obviously we don't know but we speculate that something happened causing the Dinosaurs to turn on man. Perhaps it was by the Devil's influence in a plot to take down God's ultimate creation (man).

When the role of ruler over the Earth was at a turning point, God corrected the issue in one mighty event.

If it was the plan of the Devil to destroy God's creation, then I am sure the Devil was mad.