Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Your Life in Comics


I love comics and I know some of my readers do also. Well, there is a program out there called Comic Life that allows you to take your own photos or illustrations and turn them into comics, complete with page layout templates, comic fonts, thought bubbles, captions, and the whole bit. It’s great.

In my Biology class, we have been running an experiment with mealworms and following the process of metamorphasis. It’s been fun and I’ve had three mealworms in a Petri dish at the house. So far, two of them have turned into Darkling Beetles. The project that was assigned to us was to write a children’s book based on the mealworm.

Just in time, my friend, Steve Ole Olson, emailed me about a program called Comic Life. He wondered if I had ever heard of it. Amazingly, I had not, but I checked it out and bought a copy. I went to work with my daughter’s modeling clay making mealworm eggs, a baby carriage, a mealworm, a mother Darkling Beetle and the like. Then I took out some white paper and began shooting them with my handy dandy little digital camera.

I wanted it to be in color, but the modeling clay was purple and pink. My instructor would not go for a purple Darkling Beetle. So I opted for black and white. Besides I had a tint to the color pictures because of the ecologically sound florescent lighting I use in my home.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun with it. Comic Life allows you to export as a jpg, tiff, pdf, iWeb, and iPhoto. I just took my exports on CD to Kinkos and they printed me up an 8.5x11 inch pretty little comic book on glossy paper. Cost me all of $3 and change.

So here it is, my friends. FAT JACK’s first comic book. I can see real possibility with this. Comic Life comes free on new Macs. Currently, there is no Window’s version, but they are working toward that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jack, that is so cool, I am very impressed with the fusion of sculpture, design, computerwork and science. Kudos.

Paul

Anonymous said...

Love the results! Well done.

Unknown said...

That is an awesome program. I wish they made it for PCs.