Friday, June 08, 2007

No Women or Blacks

I was talking to some of my more conservative-leaning family members the other day. One cousin mentioned that she didn’t think Hillary or Barack were viable candidates because one is a woman and one is black. Now before you see those as sexist or racist remarks, let me clarify the statements.

She said that anyone who is well traveled will know that the rest of the world has different standards and beliefs than the United States. Other places (the Middle East) look poorly on both women and blacks. If I am representing her position correctly, she felt that many parts of the world would not take a female or an African American seriously and that both those candidates would be left out of negotiations and the like. Ultimately, having either of those candidates as President would damage the United States’ standing in global affairs.

It is a point that I had not considered. So I've given it some thought. A Red Herring says I. It is an argument that is designed to distract us and put fear in the electorate. If I am not mistaken, seems that there are a lot of folks around the world, including the Middle East, who already do not respect any Americans. I direct your attention to our current President, King George. He’s a white man and he’s making no real progress with other countries.

Let’s see if this is really true? Have there been any females or blacks in major positions of power regarding foreign affairs?

  • Madeline Albright, Bill Clinton’s Secretary of State
  • Colin Powel, King George’s former Secretary of State
  • Queen of England
  • Queen Noor of Jordan (originally an American)

[cough] bullshit [couch]

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Margaret Thatcher, Golda Meir (former Prime Minister of Israel), Jeane Kirkpatrick (former US Ambassador to the United Nations), German chancellor Angela Merkel. That's all I can think of before I've had a cup of coffee this morning.

Wait...the President of Liberia is a woman.

Anonymous said...

Former President of Indonesia (the world's largest Muslim nation) Megawati Sukarnoputri.

OK, OK...I'll quit.

Anonymous said...

Indira Gandhi.

See? I've had half a cup of coffee.

Sky Girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sky Girl said...

I found a website that identifies female leaders, past and present.

http://www.filibustercartoons.com/charts_rest_female-leaders.php

Anonymous said...

Thanks to everyone that posted names of famous women in politics. My daughter did a paper in High School about women that have held high positons. I think she would find this interesting.