Friday, November 30, 2007

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

I just got back from New Images, which is St. John’s weight loss program. I gained 6 pounds over the Thanksgiving holiday. The meal plan they put me on was not workable for me. So together, my dietician and I, reworked my program into something that I think will work for me. I am excited about it and fearful. If I do not lose enough weight in six months, then my insurance will not cover the expense of the weight loss program. Honestly, I do not know if I can lose 40 pounds in the next three months. That’s hard core. I am trying, but it is hard. The fear of not losing enough weight in their time table scares me. If I do not make it, then I am on my own and it is obvious that approach has not worked for me.

It makes me mad. Seems the insurance company would want me to lose weight and would support me in doing so, so long as I am committed and trying. I am trying, although I did gain a bit of weight over the holiday. Interestingly, I did not gain any body fat.

Here is the new meal plan, if you are interested:

BREAKFAST
1 low fat breakfast sandwich
1 packet of weight control oatmeal
1 light yogurt
1 fruit

LUNCH
1 meat and cheese sandwich
1 yogurt OR fat free pudding cup
Veggies (baby carrots, celery, broccoli, salad, etc)
1 fruit

SNACK
1 package, 100-calorie snack pack OR 1 granola bar OR 1 peanut butter (no J) sammy
1-2 slices of cheese OR 1 yogurt
1 fruit

DINNER
5 ounces of meat (we do Meal Makers)
Salad or steamed veggies
1 slice break OR 1 cup pasta-rice-potato

EVENING SNACK
1 mini bag popcorn
1 cup of fat free hot chocolate

The exercise has been changed to 5-10 minutes, seven days per week. It should be more. We know that. The idea here is that I establish a pattern first, one which includes daily exercise. Then we increase it until I am doing 30 minutes per day every day. It is all about baby steps. The old plan was overwhelming, which increased my stress and in turn that increased my hunger pangs. I also have an appointment with a weight loss psychologist to help me understand and deal with the reasons behind my eating. I do not mind telling you that it is a scary proposition, but it was my idea. I asked to meet with her and they agreed. I really want this to be successful.

I am still considering the bariatric surgery, but I have to go through a year of the New Images in order to do so, and if I do not lose enough weight in the first six months, then insurance won’t pay for New Images and then I am disqualified from the lap band surgery. I feel like I’m chasing my tail.

(WARNING: Conspiracy theory about to begin)

I cannot help but wonder if this is a well designed ploy by the insurance company to ensure that clients are ineligible for the bariatric surgery. I guess medications are cheaper than a proven surgery? Not that I want surgery. I just want to be able to lose weight and keep it off. The lap band is supposed to work because it tricks your mind into thinking you are full. If you do not feel hungry, then you do not eat.

I’m not giving up. I’m just going to keep trying and so the best I can and see if I can hit that goal of 40 pounds of weight loss in the next three to four months. No easy feat considering Christmas is upon us.

I have a lot of support. My family and friends have been great. Christmas in my family comes tied with food. Same for lots of people. My parents have changed two things. We no longer have the hog trough Christmas feed. We have a healthy brunch and afterwards the food is put away and we do other things. This started last year and it was a great. It was my mom’s idea and I am so happy with it.

This year my parents made another change. My mom called Aunt Bessie and told her that the Christmas Eve buffet is gone. No longer will we travel on Christmas Eve and graze all day at the buffet. Now the family is staying in Branson, where my mother can help control the amount and type of food available for consumption. Healthy food is the goal now. That’s a big deal folks and Aunt Bessie is pissed. I understand. We have had that tradition since before I was born. What Aunt Bessie does not understand is that the Food-is-Love mentality does not work today. That is depression era thinking that is killing me. The change is hard for her and I sympathize, but I have to tell you that I am so excited at the prospect of being in an environment that is not centered around food.

FAT JACK is looking forward to a healthy Christmas. I do not have to stress about food anymore. It is a big sacrifice that my family is making and they are doing it for me. I want to live up to my side by trying to make good choices every day.

2 comments:

Jason said...

Congratulations on the steps to have a healthier life!

Good luck with your counselor and things. I've been trying to do it on my own and while I've lost over 40 lbs. I've stalled and can't seem to drop another pound. It's frustrating as hell.

Sky Girl said...

I feel your pain, Jack. I have lost 16 pounds, and stalled out. I need to lose 30 more. I think no matter how much weight a person needs to lose to be healthy, it is difficult to make the changes to do so.