Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Not-So-Incredible Hulk

The Hulk, I have decided, is not a terribly interesting character. I made this statement to my comic book guy to which he replied that The Hulk does not translate well into other mediums. Philosophically speaking, I can relate to the inner beast that cannot, at times, be controlled. Despite our higher thinking and evolution, we are still beasts, animals with deep-seeded instincts. The Hulk’s nature speaks volumes about human nature and our greater society. To that extent, I find him intriguing. I guess I like the idea of the Hulk but I am not so impressed with the end product.

I have some copies of Marvel Adventures Hulk. Marvel Adventures being the more kid-friendly version of the comics. MA titles come in many forms: Spider-Man, Iron-Man, Fantastic Four, and The Avengers, along with some other double-flips and whatnot. Some of the MA books are better than others. Marvel Adventures Iron Man was pretty good, for instance. The MA titles tend to stip a character down to nuts and bolts for the kids. The language and violence is dialed down and the story lines are told within one comic (usually 32 pages).

That means the focus is more on action than character. This is overly true with Marvel Adventures Hulk. The complexity of the character, the drama and tension, are edited out, leaving us with nothing more than a green guy who smashes stuff to bits. They make use of the many manifestations of The Hulk, ranging from the childlike “Hulk Smash” id, to a brainiac scientist in green skin. I hate that. My comic book guy assures me that Hulk has gone through many changes through the year. Fine, but that does not mean I have to like him as an intelligent being. It destroys the tension of the story.

The post-Ang Lee movie version was fine. Not great, but fine. I liked it. Had a good time. It didn’t suck and was better than the previous green man flick. Not as good as Iron Man by any means. It had to be made, I suppose, so they could go ahead with the Avengers franchise. Avengers, you see, is on its way, if the hints and suggestions in the Iron Man and Hulk movies are to be believed. If you don’t already know, be sure to brush up on your Avengers, S.H.I.E.L.D., and Nick Fury history. Think there will be any social commentary with S.H.I.E.L.D. (Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division)?

No comments: