Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Powdered Meat Substitute

It’s about protein smoothies these days. I use them as part of my attempt to lose weight. Not skinny mind you, but just be a healthy BIG MAN, if you catch my drift. My dietician recommends that I use a more protein-heavy diet. Not the Atkins, because she still wants me to eat carbohydrates. Something more along the South Beach Diet is more like it.

Heavy on the protein and veggies, average on the fruits, light on the carbs is how I understand it so far. The protein powders come in sweet flavors, so they are perfect for between-meal snacks. I’ve been adding fruit, peanut butter, yogurt, milk, crushed ice, and sometimes powdered fiber to make a dandy smoothie.

Since I have all night classes this semester, I have to eat early and can get snacky during class. So I’ve been taking protein shakes with me along with my water. So far it works pretty well. They are also good for my little pseudo-vegetarian daughter so insure she gets enough protein in her diet.

Right now, I am using Unjury brand protein powders, but if there are any better ones out there let me know. I am happy with this brand so far. Each scoop offers 20 grams of protein and only 3 grams of carbohydrates.

No comments: