Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The Election Results Are In

SPRINGFIELD -- Monday night, Kathy and I volunteered for the Springfield Public Schools to call registered voters and remind people to vote in today’s election and we also asked them to support the school bond issue. Not that I like telemarketers. I do not. I do not mind, however, when people call my home and remind to vote the next day. I am forgetful. So I forgive local political phone calls the night before the election. Political telemarketing, by the way, is exempt from the state Do Not Call List.

I was not optimistic about the school bond issue passing. It appeared to me that there was a significant amount of opposition. I started to change my mind after making the phone calls last night. The majority of folks I spoke with were going to the polls and were going to support the bond issue.

I believe many of the concerns that voters had about the bond issue are relevant. Raising taxes is an issue that should be highly considered. Just because a public school asks for money does not mean that we should support it, but this bond issue will help keep the buildings in repair and make needed updates. As one man said last night, “Springfield used to the be the flag ship school district in the area. Now, everyone is going to Nixa, Ozark and Willard.”

So rest assured, Springfield, that this was the right decision. It was also the right decision to elect Andy Hosmer to the Springfield Board of Education. I really believe that he will help the district form a long range plan to address needs and do it by including the community. I, for one, have already contacted him by email and volunteered to be on his long range planning committee., assuming he chooses me and it will fit in my new school schedule.

After all … school always comes first. The results are in (97 percent reporting):

Springfield School Bond Issue
YES – 62%
NO – 38%

Springfield School Board Members:
Andy Hosmer -- 24%
Kris Callen -- 23%
Bruce Renner -- 22%

No comments: