Thursday, April 20, 2006

Learn Me A Thing Or Two

As you probably already know, I am starting back to school this summer to be an elementary teacher -- I want to teach forth and fifth graders. I have always believed that children should read and have an interest in literature. Afterall, a child who reads can do anything. With the current curricula centered around standardized testing, many teachers have forgone reading to their children and chosen, instead, to teach our children how to be good test takers.

Well I am taking a stand now. I am committed to surrounding my students with literature, ensuring that there is proper time for them to read. I am also committed to reading to my students everyday.

The canon of children’s literature is very large and it can be hard to pick a small set of books from the sea of literature to be read by students and read aloud by the teacher. I am starting my list of books that I treasure, but I am looking for your input.

  • What is your personal canon of children’s literature?
  • What books do you consider to be very important for children?
  • What children’s books do you treasure?
  • What books would you pick out for your child to read?

After gathering your responses, and comparing the information, I will post Fat Jack’s Canon of Children’s Literature for your pleasure. For the next year, I am reading (almost exclusively) children’s literature. If you are extraordinarily obsessed with one particular book, be sure to specify that and I will try to add it into my rotation.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The Hobbit. Nuff said.

Bryan said...

I have really enjoyed Erin Colfer's Artimis Fowl books as well as his other titles.

And the Dragonriders of Pern series, although I have not read them, are considered to be excellent.

The Thief Lord is good book for that age group too.

My son, who is in 4th grade, liked the Spiderwick series.

And then there is always the great fallback medium... comic books!

Sorry this rambles, but I'm trying to remember what I've read as opposed to just heard of.

Larry Burkum said...

"North to Freedom" by Anne Holm was read aloud to fifth graders every year when I was growing up. "Set in post World War II Europe, it is also published under the titles David, and I Am David. With the help of one of the prison gaurds, 12 year old David escapes from a communist labor camp in Bulgaria with no idea what to do other than go to Denmark. The story weaves in many important themes, such as freedom, beauty, truth, and love. There are many intriguing characters, like Johannes his fellow prisoner, the family of Maria, a Danish lady in Switzerland, and a dog named King. As David crosses countries and borders, his understanding of life, God, and the aforementioned themes grows as his journey progresses. Through it all he is determined to remain true to himself. Truly an engaging read, and a good study on physical and cultural geography for kids."

admin said...

Thanks everyone. Keep them coming. I love getting such a wide variety. It's nice to know that folks you don't know are reading your blog. Your comments are very appreciated. And don't forget, I will post a listing once this is completed, or nearly completed. Is a Canon of Literature every really completed?

Fat Jack