Saturday, May 06, 2006

CINCO de SCREW-O: Immigration Part 1

This past week I have been watching the Opinion page of the Springfield News-Leaders. Letter after Letter-to-the-Editor ignorant people have been writing in demonstrating their open ignorance and bigotry toward Mexicans. I’ve had my fill of it. The issue, disguised as illegal immigration, is nothing more than an excuse to hate a group of people. The sentiment can be summed up in this real quote that I’ve heard all my life growing up as an Ozarkian:

“I don’t want them to get ahead of us.”

How about that? That statement is fear driven and fear, always, leads to hatred and discrimination. Always. For some reason, there has been little to dispute this. It’s a wonder that the Hispanics in Springfield and the surrounding area are not terrified. All they see in our paper is bigotry.

In celebration of Cinco de Mayo, and as a silent protest to the open hatred, I ate at Cierlito Lindo for lunch and then a group of my friends went to Qdoba for dinner. I don’t remember seeing any Hispanics working at Qdoba, but that’s not really the point.

Both restaurants were filled to the brim with people. I waited in line to be seated for lunch and we all waited in an extensive line for dinner. The line was still there when we left Qdoba. Not everyone in Springfield is boycotting Mexican restaurants as was suggested by the podunk in Stone County.

Yet we are somehow complacent on this issue. Where is our voice of dissidence? I know several conservatives, and liberals (myself being a Demublican) who do not agree with the hatred. But where are we? Where am I?

I am writing a Letter to the Editor today, cause Fat Jack is flat pissed off. I don’t know what the Hell I’m going to say, but I know that we cannot sit back and let these idiots speak for all of us. We do not all agree with the “I don’t want them to get ahead of us,” mentality.

Of the blogs I peruse I have few personal essays on immigration. As good people we should be called to gather and fight for those who are being persecuted and discriminated against. I don’t have all the answers on immigration. But I do know that fear leads to discrimination. Discrimination spreads like a cancer. If we don’t say something, then who will.

Speaking for myself, I believe that my religion demands that I speak up against fear and hatred. Jesus was kinda funny about that.

So I wonder, what will you do? Bloggers enjoy First Amendment Rights. Why else do have blogs except to write and think and speak and fight and protect? When I finish my Letter To The Editor, I will post it for you.

4 comments:

admin said...

Judas Priest, Granny!
Branding with 666: What a thing for a person to suggest. How did you keep from throwing your radio across the room? Fat Jack is a Christian, but I don't hate and discriminate. I really wish folks wouldn't give Christians a bad name.

Dirty buggers. Thanks for the feedback.

Unknown said...

I agree with your thoughts on this. Illegal immigration is a problem in this country. Unfortunately, people have taken to the extremes and bought into the racism and ignorance. I believe that most of us here in the Queen City are not in favor of the extremes but don't know what the answers to the problem are. As I have said before, I think President Bush is right on this one. I am looking forward to your Letter and hope to be able put together one of my own to speak to this issue.

Unknown said...

By the way, What Granny Geek heard is very frightening and wrong. As a Christian, I am deeply offended with the tattoo of 666 idea. What rocks do these people crawl out of?

admin said...

I don't know who is right, but there are some things that I know are wrong.