Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Keeping Students Informed


Everyday the Springfield News-Leader places 20-tons of newspapers on the Missouri State campus. It’s a service that is free to the students. I didn’t realize it for a while, but I finally figured out that it is there everyday, just for the reading. They aren’t in every building, but they are available in many buildings.

I pick one up every chance I get, usually from Strong Hall on my Tuesday-Thursday schedule. The Monday-Wednesday schedule is very hectic as I have my student practicum in an elementary school on those days. I rush off campus to get there in time to complete my 30 hours.

Media outlets get criticized for caring only about the bottom line, and that criticism is true in many circumstances. Missouri State is a public affairs university and the News-Leader is engaged in the community by supporting that mission and giving students free access to the newspaper. For my part, I am thankful that I have access to the paper. I don’t have the money to purchase my own subscription, but I am very interested in the news of my community. I don’t know how many students take advantage of it, but I know that some days I have a hard time tracking a copy down.

Good for the Springfield News-Leader for supporting the educational process and participating in Missouri State’s public affairs mission.

No comments: