Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Rest of the Summer

Now that I’m out of school I have plans, most of which include my daughter. First of all, my wife and I have decided to use get a loan and remodel our kitchen. It is in sorry shape, I tell you what. The scratch-n-dent cabinets are original to the house built in 1964 and there was not much consideration toward space efficiency back then. That shall be remedied soon. We are installing new cabinets. The carpet – oh the carpet – is on its way out. We have hardwood floors in the three bedrooms, hallway and living room. For some strange reason the rest of the house (dining room, kitchen, utility and half-bath are all linoleum or carpet.

I have I ever mentioned how much I despise the vile crap trap that is known as carpet? Young families with children just cannot keep carpet up. It’s too hard. We are ripping it up and putting down hardwood floor – solid bamboo actually. We are especially excited about the bamboo because we got a great deal on it. It is a green product and it is also a very hard wood.

You cannot beat a good deal with a stick. So when we found solid bamboo at a great price, then we jumped on it even though the builder will not be ready for another three weeks. Bamboo only takes about seven years until it is ready to be harvested for flooring. So it is considered to be a renewable resource. If we can go green, and afford it, then that’s what we want to do. Besides, everyone I’ve talked to says that bamboo is a very hard floor and should stand up to the wear and tear of a FAT JACK family.

Later this month my Dad and I are going to Sturgis, KY for the annual Little Sturgis Biker Rally. This rally is what the real Sturgis (in South Dakota) was 25 years ago. It’s a lot of fun in the hot sun, but we like it.

In August, my wife, daughter and I are heading to Chicago for the annual Wizard World Chicago comic book convention. This will be fun, make no mistake about it, but it is also directly related to my master’s thesis. The cool aspect is that we are taking the Amtrak out of St. Louis. That should be an adventure.

In between those major events, my kiddo and I are going to White Water, Silver Dollar City, Celebration City and to visit family. Life is good, my friends. Life is good.

Pictures of the remodel, the biker rally, and the comic book convention will trickle in as they occur.

No comments: