Friday, July 27, 2007

Some Dangerous Reading

Reading is such a great thing for the mind and yet so many people, kids and adults, find it such a bewildering hobby. Just ask Thinking Things. Boys are especially disinterested in reading, it seems.

I have my own undertakings to help bring books and readings to children and teens. Beyond comics and graphic novels there are so many other pieces of literature out there. I found two traditional pieces of literature recently, one for younger boys and the other for teens and adults. I just had to share.


THE DANGEROUS BOOK FOR BOYS
By Conn and Hal Iqqulden
ISBN-10: 0061243582
ISBN-13: 978-0061243585
Hardcover
288 pages

I haven’t read The Dangerous Book for Boys but I suspect it would be a major player in the elementary and middle school libraries. I think I will buy a copy for inclusion in my personal classroom library. From paper airplanes and tying knots to famous battles, this book tries to recapture the active days before technology took such a hold on our youngsters. It is meant for boys and their fathers to bond and engage in something other than the everyday happenings. Be sure and check out the YouTube video about this book. What a great way to promote a book.


THE CHILDREN OF HÚRIN
By J.R.R. Tolkien
Edited by Christopher Tolkien
Illustrations by Alan Lee
ISBN-10: 0618894640
ISBN-13: 978-0618894642
Hardcover

Tolkien fans will be pleased to have another book from Middle Earth to read. The characters will be familiar to those who have read The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales but only in unfinished forms. This time the stories are complete. By the sounds of it, these children are in for some tragic times.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just received The Dangerous Book for Boys for my birthday from Bryan. It is a fun book.