Sunday, August 30, 2009

MANDATORY VACCINES? CONCENTRATION CAMPS?

Skinny Kitty pointed me to an opinion piece in the News-Leader today, the writer claiming that mandatory vaccines are coming, those refusing will be listed as felons and quarantined in concentration camps. It reminds me of the "health care = Nazi" discussion I just had with an elderly family member.

I went on the hunt for validation, legitimate news reports on the subject of mandatory vaccination, something to back up Anne Hartmann-Phipps' claims. I googled "mandatory vaccines" then clicked on "news results". I found plenty of similar claims from bloggers, but nothing from a real news agency. Is this a case of bloggers breaking the story first or of irrational fear mongering run amok?

Apparently, one hospital is requiring flu vaccines for all employees. The story didn't talk about the H1N1 vaccine. It just said a "flu vaccine". That's the closest citation I could find.

I don't know what to make of it all. It seems to me that people are panicking over things that are absolutely baseless. It's disturbing. Why has reason abandoned so many people all of a sudden? Irrational fear is a dangerous thing. It causes people to behave in unethical and erratic ways, making poor decisions they would otherwise not make.

People need to take a deep breath, calm down and practice reason.

I do hope a real news agency will investigate these claims and give us the real news. Is that too much to ask?

No comments: