Saturday, May 27, 2006

Muddin' in the Mini-Van

I drove from Springfield to Granby (not far from Neosho) to help a friend poor concrete in his barn and I cam back covered, not in concrete as one might think, but in mud.

I picked up two other friends and we headed to the farm in Granby for a 2 hour job. We poured the pad in nothing flat and did a good job to boot. So we had the rest of the day to do whatever. The truck still had concrete in it and they don’t take that back to the plant. So we had to find a place to put it.

Monty, the owner, told him to dump it on the gravel driveway. Fine and dandy except I was parked by the house next to his pick-up -- the wrong side of the concrete. He assured me there was another route to the street. Indeed there was, but considering this: his saw three inches of rain the night before. So after our work everyone showered so we could come back to Springfield, meet up with our families, eat dinner and go to see “X-Men: The Last Stand.” (Read my movie review at INCONCEIVABLE.)

When it was time to go, he jumped in the pick-up to show me the way out. Of course the two fat guys sat in the front of the mini-van. An interesting tidbit of information: the motor of the Honda minivan is in the front of the front-wheel drive vehicle.

Monty’s truck drove over the nice, grassy patch of yard without incident. We got 25 yards in and then sunk like a rock right up to the doors. We pushed, we pulled and we dug out the wheels. We even moved the van about 6 feet, until it sank to the frame. You can’t do much when your transmission is sitting on the ground.

Luckily, when my wife and I changed our automobile and home insurance to AAA just a month ago. So I pulled out my new AAA card and within 1.5 hours I had a tow truck at the house. Amazingly enough, if the ground is so soft that a mini-van will sink to the frame, then a tow truck won’t have any better luck. Eventually, he pulled out 150 feet of cable, went around a tree and hooked on to my rear end. With me at the wheel driving ever so slower backwards, he pulled us out to safety, back behind the concrete again.

I’m not going to tell you how we figured that out, but we did. I was able to finally get out, however, our time had eroded away and we were forced into a drive-by at Mexican Villa, scarf food at my house in order to meet the families at Springfield 8. Tell you what. The old mini-van doesn’t run too well down the highway caked in mud. We slung it all the way home.

And so it goes with my friends and I. Something always seems to happen with us. At least this time we were armed with AAA.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

All is well that ends well.

Duane k said...

Whoops!