Monday, February 26, 2007

Academy Awards Did Not Hinder My Math Mojo

Took a risk last night staying up late for the Academy Awards. I had a test this morning. Not just any test but a test in mathematics, which is not my strongest subject. Unlike last semester when I struggled to internalize all of my mathematics concepts (rather than just blindly memorizing them) this semester makes more sense to me. This course is Geometry and I have a more innate understanding of the concepts in Geometry than I did in my regular math class. I am taking the same teacher for both courses.

So this morning, I woke up thinking about math. This time, rather than being upset about it, I woke up quizzing myself and knowing the answers right off the bat. That, my friends, is a good feeling. I have never, ever felt that about a mathematics test. The difference? The teacher. I have an exceptional instructor who cares more about my learning, internalizing, the information rather than just memorizing it like a lemming. His caring about my math knowledge makes all the difference in the world. He’s hard, mind you. He is considered the hardest instructors mostly because he expects you to learn a lot of information and be able to articulate the answer beyond just putting down an answer. Not only do we show our work, but we explain it in prose form. Beyond that, he actually cares about my learning. He wants me, FAT JACK, to make an A in his class and he gets excited when I push down my previous mathematical barriers. The right teacher makes all the difference.

I am not so scared of math any longer. That does not mean that I don’t still struggle with math. I do, but I am not as intimidated by it. I’m still poor at mental math, but I know how to work on that and I expect to do so between now and when I begin teaching. I also hope to be able to help my students the way he has helped me. Not only am I learning mathematics, but I don’t hate it anymore.

I made my study guide. I drove to MSU to meet with my study group on Friday. I did my homework and asked questions in class. So when it came to hosting the Academy Awards party last night, I did so without compromising my schooling and without stressing out about it. I don’t have my grade back yet, but I don’t really care about that. I knew the information. Even if I made a B because of silly mistakes, the grade really isn’t the issue. I know the material backwards and forwards and I believe I could express that knowledge to others. I’m actually enjoying a math class for once. That is a huge stride from this former math hater and poor arithmetic performer.

3 comments:

The Lorax said...

Jack,

I struggled through math my entire life. Somehow... SOMEHOW... squeeked by Diffy Q in my engineering program. With someone who barely spoke english trying to teach me something foreign.

I've felt your pain. And I couldn't be happier for you.

Math is VERY kewl... when you get it.

Lenny said...

Hang in there buddy! I for one cant stand math I had a heck of a time getting through it in college! I hope you aced your test! Lenny

Anonymous said...

Well, of course when I was surfing and saw the title of your post, I had to take a looksee.

Cool post. I wonder how you have been doing with math since you posted.

If your mojo needs a boost, check out Mathmojo.com or The Math Mojo Chronicles at http://mathmojo.com/chronicles.

Keep up the good work!

Hotcha!