Thursday, September 25, 2008

SUPERGIRL: COSMIC ADVENTURES IN THE EIGHTH GRADE

If you have a young girl in your house, a little lady ages 6-12 you may want to consider DC's newest girl of steel:


Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures in the Eighth Grade #1


This 32-page, full color monthly comic goes on sale December 3 for $2.50 per issue. The DC website has this to say:

Meet Linda Lee! She’s the newest kid on the block – and the planet, too! Find out how an ordinary girl from Krypton became the most extraordinary girl on Earth in the pages of this brand new monthly series. And if you think life is tough as a hero, try being in the eighth grade.


As Larry over at Simple Thoughts of a Complex Mind can attest, this comic is exactly why I got into comics in the first place. I wanted to promote reading with my child from an early age, but I also wanted her to enjoy the geeky things I loved. I wanted girl comics. Turns out, they are not terribly easy to find, especially for elementary-aged girls. That is even more true for the superhero genre. There are more and more independent titles with strong female characters, but most of the superhero genre involves titles that are too mature or are team oriented.

My girl needs a girl she can look up to, a girl with strength and intelligence, a girl who knows who she is. My daughter, and most girls out there in my opinion, need an appropriate, female superhero.

I have already placed my order with my local comic book shop. Actually, I am placing three orders for this comic. I have some girls in mind that are getting a subscription to Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures in the Eighth Grade courtesy of Fat Jack and Skinny Kitty because reading (and the enjoyment of reading) is just that important to the success of every child.

You can read an interview of the writer here.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My daughter's subscription is also been ordered.

admin said...

I knew you would jump all over that. I thought of you as I wrote the post. We may not agree on who the president should be,

but we sure can agree on comics.