Monday, June 15, 2009

FAT JACK THE BARBARIAN

When I was just a wee lad and watched CONAN THE BARBARIAN with Arnold Schwarzenegger I was transformed. He was so cool to my eyes. The video stores had just opened in my small town (that was back when the VHS-Beta debate was still raging) and I hunted down any tapes in the barbarian genre.

I went to my very handy dad and begged for a sword and battle axe. He constructed both for me, and I still have them. He also made me a shield, which I still own. I hunted down all manner of beast and evildoer in the land of Hollister, and the people revered me. I was awesome.

So yeah, I dig Conan. What am I to do with the recent news from Variety that there will be a CONAN rekick directed by Marcus Nispel who made THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE and FRIDAY THE 13TH remakes? Dare I even watch lest my childhood adventures be dashed to death? Nispel can't steal my beloved CONAN from me, nor my memories, but he could irritate me to no end.

Yet, I want to see it. If it is good, then I will be able to tap into those old memories and live out those adventures again. I'm danged if I do and danged if I don't.

No comments: