Saturday, January 20, 2007

The Great Ice Storm of 07 Continues

As of Friday:
The daughter started throwing up last night. So we didn’t go to the funeral just in case it was a virus. Last thing we want is to infect the grandmothers and aunts. Just as well as we have had several workers come to my house or Aunt Bessie’s house to give estimates or begin work. Netflix delivered movies, so we caught An Inconvenient Truth. What a great documentary.

I am starting to get pretty stir crazy. The in-laws have been great and we get along pretty well, but you can only spend so much time cooped up with one another. The Twit announced that it would be another week before electricity is restored to everyone in the city. That is, they are restoring power on 2,000 households a day on average. They have 18,000 households to go. Now I am just a silly college student, but my math skills tell me something is up. Let’s write a word problem, shall we?

CU has 18,000 households to restore to power. If CU restores 2,000 households a day, how many days will it take to restore power to everyone? If we express that in mathematical terms that would look something like this: 18,000 ÷ 2,000 = 9. So Twit may have over-estimated his ability to restore power to the remaining 18,000 customers. I suspect it will take one week to 10 days. Not that I am complaining about CU’s ability to restore power. I think they have done a good job so far and I am being patient and calm. I’m just not thrilled about that little pinheaded Twit.

No comments: