Thursday, January 25, 2007

Wonder-Working Power

There is power, power
Wonder-working Power
In the Home (in the home)
Of Fat Jack (of Fat Jack).

There is power, power
Wondering-working power
In the precious home
Of Fat Jack.

(Props to anyone that gets the musical reference.)

The call came in at 8:15 p.m. on Thursday, January 25 (13 days after the first ice storm). My neighbor rang me on the cell at the in-laws home to tell me that my porch light was blinding him and would I please turn it off already. Him thinks he's funny.

We will continue to spend Thursday night at the in-laws. If all goes well, and why wouldn't it, then we will be back home tomorrow. Fortunately, I don't have class on Fridays so I will be moving the family back home tomorrow. I'll be up at 6:30 a.m. to get ready for the day. And I will do all of this while simulateously studying. It will be worth it.

Good thing too. The daughter started crying tonight. She just couldn't stand it anymore. She loves her grandparents of course, but the storm damage has finally taken its toll. She was in tears.

"I want to go home," she said. I miss my bed."

I know just how she feels. One day shy of two weeks (so close that I will just call it two weeks) is too long to be away from home when not on vacation. And this was no vacation, as most of you can attest. She misses her toys and our daily routine. She misses cuddling in bed with Daddy as part of her night time routine. Not every night, but many of them. So we snuggled on the in-laws' couch tonight until she went to sleep, with kitty in the pocket where he belongs. It was nice, but it's just not the same.

There is a gloomy side to this silver lining. I've heard tell that the Farmer's Almanac (which is considered nothing more than pulp fiction by at least one local meteorological tv star and blogger) fortold this event and has also predicted another such storm for the month of February. I can't confirm that as I don't have a copy of the book, but I find it interesting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord!

-Fat Jack's wife

Unknown said...

Congratulation on the electricity. It is great to be home. Enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

Power in the Blood