Sunday, January 21, 2007

Sunday and Still Out of Power

I am still out of power, still staying with the in-laws, still living out of boxes and laundry hampers, and still sleeping on an air mattress. Of course I know where my loved ones are and I have not had to go to a shelter or a superdome. So how much can I really complain? Still yet, it’s frustrating, inconvenient, and maybe a bit greasy feeling. It may sound funny, but I am excited to have somewhere to go tomorrow. It will be nice to get back to college and stretch my legs. I look forward to the walk despite the cold.

We have decided that my daughter’s little vomit session a few nights ago was related to storm stress and not viral. Limbs crashing down around us can be scary to little minds and I think it came out in the liquid, chunky form. We’ve talked with her about how safe we are and reassured her that things are okay and will continue to be okay. It would be nice to be able to go home so she could get back to her normal routine. Going back to school on Tuesday will be a good thing.

Days ago (and my insurance company and electrician verified this) CU stated that they would not hook anyone up to electricity unless the household weatherhead was in good working order. They told us to get an electrician, on our own, and fix it, on our own. I did what I was supposed to, what any good community member should do and got it fixed. I’ve not received the bill but it is substantial, especially to a family with only one income.

Today on the news, CU announced that they will be repairing weatherheads and hooking people up to electricity at the same time. I’ve fixed mine, so there I am stuck with a bill courtesy of city utility. What will CU do? Will they reimburse me for the money? I seriously doubt it. They will let me eat it or stick it to my insurance company, which will inevitably raise my insurance rates. It would have been nice to have known that days ago.

I wonder if John Twitty, Decider of CU, has his electricity restored and when exactly that happened?

No comments: