Monday, March 26, 2007

What We Need Is a New Law

I was on Spring Break last week; my daughter is on Spring Break this week. It befuddles me why schools and universities do not coordinate Spring Breaks. My wife had to take a week of vacation to stay home with my daughter this week. Had they been coordinated, then I could have been off and my wife could have saved her vacation time for this summer.

I was complaining about this to my sister who said that a few years ago Oklahoma passed a law that all schools were to coordinate Spring Break. She knew that the public schools had to do this, but she didn’t know if the colleges and universities had to do it as well.

You would think that it would be common sense – logical – to do so. What of college students who have families. Not all students are of the single, childless, 18-23 year old variety. There are many graduate students and non-traditional students who have families and lives. Why not coordinate the Spring Breaks for all schools and help uncomplicated the lives of many families?

5 comments:

wlturland said...

At the University of Louisiana, so many of the non-trads and faculty with children pitched a fit over the discrepancy between the two Spring Breaks that the university now aligns all of its breaks with the public school system. While I do think that Spring Break should be standardized nationwide, perhaps for your situation you could start by gathering a few of your fellow non-traditionals and approach your Dean of Students. Go a step further and find a few faculty members to approach him/her with you!

Anonymous said...

We live in Nixa. Our daughters have Spring Break this week (26th-30th). I had my stepsons here last week for Spring Break because that was when the Rockwood School District in St. Louis scheduled theirs. Two years in a row our kids have had different breaks and it really irks me. Finally, next year we have it at the same time so we are going to DISNEYWORLD!!!! But, I really don't see why they all couldn't coordinate it at the same time. I have had the same thought the past two years. Maybe if we could get Nancy elected she could get it changed!!!! Jill Davis

John Stone said...

Could never be done, Jack. Think of the chaoes, nudity and hurling in the streets of Daytona ... all the National Guard is out of the country.

But it would make for some interesting photos on flickr.

admin said...

Jill,

I bet she could and probably would. Why can't all of Missouri coordinate it like other states?

Sandy said...

I couldn't agree more, Jack.
Get the ball rolling on this issue and I'll jump on the wagon with you. It's just so ridiculous why little things like this can't be coordinated better to make it easier for all.