Monday, June 19, 2006

Big Man Biking

Picture, if you will, Ms. Gulch from the Wizard of Oz. You know who she is – the old woman in the beginning who tries to take Toto to the sheriff to be destroyed. Remember her bicycle with the baskets on the front and back? Atop this bicycle place Peter from the TV show “Family Guy.”

Now you have a pretty good idea what I look like bicycling to school everyday. My friend, Paul, loaned me one of his bicycles for a month. Just to try it out. He’s been pushing me to get a bicycle and ride to MSU everyday, rather than driving. Good for the environment, good for your health, blah, blah, blah.

I got the bicycle on Friday night and got up early Saturday morning for a ride. It’s really not so bad. I am amazed that I can make it from near the Battlefield Mall to MSU in about 15-20 minutes. It nearly takes my wife that long to travel that same distance in the van (during rush hour.)

So we will see how it goes. I rope 6 miles on Saturday. Then rode to church on Sunday, which is on South Street near the Square. I got about 8 miles. Then I put on 8 or more miles today because I had to ride downtown.

I am Springfield’s version of Fat Man Walking, He’s the big feller who decided to travel across the United States on foot to loose weight. I’m not anywhere near that ambitious, but I’m going to give this bicycle riding the old college try. My wife took a pretty picture of me riding to school my first day, but you can forget about it showing up on this blog.

3 comments:

admin said...

You betcha. I am trying hard to change some ways while in school. I figure this is the easiest time to do that as I can go to school in shorts all sweaty. Who cares?

John Stone said...

Ah, a new participant in next year's nekkid bicycle ride day .... You will undoubtedly run into VD(J)... if you do ... really run into him....

admin said...

Yes, well, one step at a time, Stoner, one step at a time.