Friday, June 16, 2006

Diversity and Understanding Keys to Real Education

Diversity is alive and thriving in Springfield, while I must admit that it is strictly confined to the university campus, it nonetheless is, in my limited experience, a fundamental in the majority of my classes.

Granny would be so proud.

Now I must say that I am in my first semester and am only taking three classes. As far as statistical research is concerned, three does not make a sampling. But I have been impressed to see how diversity has been defined and discussed in my classes, and it’s the first week.

Religious, cultural, disability, ethnicity, and sex have all been discussed as a broad definition of diversity. Many times we fall into the race trap, restricting diversity to ethnicity. As I have discussed before, the largest minority population in the United States are persons with disabilities, according to the 2000 Census.

So far my Introduction to Teaching and my Geography class have discussed diversity, using the broad term. I would have never cared about that while getting my bachelor’s degree. But I am finding that being a non-traditional student has given me insight into my learning. I am interesting in details and I am not concerned only with the information that will be on the test. Rather, I am interested in learning – test material or no. I find my interest in learning, rather than test taking, a freeing experience.

No comments: