Monday, September 25, 2006

Scholarly Thoughts

I started my student practicum today. It’s a lot like student teaching, except in this case I am more like an aid. I am in the classroom for a minimum of 30 hours, but it must be completed over 10 weeks. I’m sure I will end up getting more than the minimum hours, as I will probably end up with 4 hours per week. But I don’t think a few extra hours will do me any harm.

More than 30 fifth grade students in one class are too many. That much I know. There’s just not enough room to move. Fortunately for my teacher, that is only the case during Science. The rest of the time the class is in the 20’s which is much more manageable.

Ms. M got me right to work. She introduced me and put me in the reading area. The class is split into reading groups of 4-6 students per group, each with it’s own book (based on reading level.) I read to the kids, or in some cases they took turns reading, and we finished one chapter per group. Then we discussed what happened, how it applies to us, what we liked and did not like, and then each student went back to his or her desk to write a summary.

I enjoy getting right to work. During Science I observed the classroom, discipline, seating arrangement and other issues that I am supposed to reflect upon. It was interesting and quite fun. I wish I could take pictures for you, but there is too much legality involved in something like that.

My wife, the lovely giver she is, bought me a new bow tie for the occasion: a butter colored tie with cursive lettering, just like the wall hangings in third grade. I wore it proudly with jeans and a sweater vest. I know; I know. It's a bit of a diversion from the biker me. My ability to wear multiple hats is always a joy. I consider that one of my strong points. Besides, when you are big as a house you stand out in a crowd anyway. If you are going to stand out you might as well do it right.

Wednesday I am to bring a bag full of items that are a reflection of myself for a creative introduction. I don’t think my iron horse will fit in a bag and I’m sure they won’t let me ride it into the room. I think I have a die case model of a Harley-Davidson Road King around here somewhere or maybe my helmet would work better. That, my karate belt and a copy of my graphic novel adaptation of The Hobbit should serve well enough to peak some interest.

So far it was a good first day and a positive experience. We shall see what happens after the honeymoon stage is thoroughly over, but I don’t suspect I will change my mind. As trying as they can be, I do enjoy kids. Everyone in teaching seems to say “children” a lot, but that term bugs me a bit. Seems a bit condescending to me. Some object to the term kids as that is what baby goats are called, but I think that rule is quickly falling by the way side. Ms. M, when speaking directly to them, calls them “ladies and gentlemen.”

I like the respect and expectation with that. But for me, I think I prefer “scholars”. Seems to me that scholar illustrates my intentions that they will, above all things, learn. And the bigness of the word sets the stage for strong vocabulary and high expectations. I couldn't be happier than to be reading to students. Reading is, in my opinion, e most important skill a student scholarl can learn. If you can read, you can do anything. First thing I ever did on my path to education was to read to the students. I love the foreshadowing.

No comments: