Saturday, September 30, 2006

Sign of the Times


I was wrong. Many blog posts ago I was writing about my frustrations with the seeming disconnect with many of our political candidates. Specifically I was talking about our local candidates. Before the primary election, I was disgusted with the number of responses I received from the candidates running for Representative in my district.

My feelings are still valid and truthful in many circumstances, such as with incumbent Charlie Denison. However, I was wrong with Democratic candidate Nancy Hagan. I suggested that maybe she was nothing more than Denison in a Dress. I said that because I sent two emails to her and both went unanswered. She later explained that she was having server troubles.

A lot has happened since then, and she has done a lot to change my mind and prove my earlier statement false. To the credit of her staff, someone was watching the blogs (which is something that every candidate should do if they want to know what their constituency is really feeling) and caught my post. He emailed me and then alerted her as well. It wasn’t long until I had a response from Hagan.

I was skeptical, thinking this was nothing more than a back peddle, although I never as much. Let’s be real. Politicians back peddle a lot when they get caught doing something wrong. It’s the nature of the business and as pessimistic as they may sound it is also pragmatic.

I sent Hagan some questions, specific questions, about the upcoming election and some important issues, local and state. She answered them all. So I sent her a list of follow-up questions and she answered those as well. She came by the neighborhood one day and left me a handwritten note on the door saying she was sorry she missed me.

I have lived in this home for years and neither Roy Holland (former Representative) nor Denison (current Representative) have ever personally stopped by my home to speak to me. Never. Nor have I received a personal note from either of them. Hagan has done that and more.

I have never asked for a candidate to place a sign in my yard, but I did this year. I emailed Hagan and requested a sign. I came home one night and there it sat. Hagan has done something that no other candidate has ever done:

She came to home and left a handwritten note.
She answered several questions written by me and others, to be published on my blog.
She has emailed me since.

My earlier suggestion was not correct. I mischaracterized her. She is Nancy Hagan. She has responded to my questions and has made attempts to connect with me on a personal level. Holland and Denison has never done those things, even though I am a concerned voter and have written them both letters before. Hagan has proved that she cares very much for her constituents.

I am endorsing Nancy Hagan as my Representative. She has my vote, and I have her sign proudly displayed in my yard. I hope she wins and that we can continue to develop a constituent-politician relationship. I look forward to offering her my thoughts on issues and having her respond as she has done, with a personal note to me. As a former professional disability advocate and future educator, I hope to offer my expertise in the fields in which I have knowledge and to learn from her in the field. I am voting for Nancy Hagan. If you’d like to see a reprint of my Nancy Hagan interview, you can see all the questions in one post over at Springfield Citizen Press.

3 comments:

The Lorax said...

Good post.

We should all be politically proactive as you... or shut up and sit down.

admin said...

Well thanks so much, Dave. I appreciate that. I do wish more folks would care a bit about our government officials who represent us.

Anonymous said...

Here's something interesting. The Disabilities Advocacy and Support Network is hosting a legislative forum on Monday, October 23 at OTC West Commons building 6:30-8:30 p.m. All candidates were invited to attend to answer questions and make statements. Most of my response has been from the democrats eager to address disability issues. I would like to say thanks to Bob Dixon and Steve Helms (both Republicans) for wanting to take time to meet with folks.