Sunday, June 22, 2008

Good Old Betty Sure Can Make a Meatloaf


The 8-year-old daughter got a kids cookbook for her birthday and we just got around to making her first recipe with it: meatloaf.

I love the meatloaf, so long as it is:

  1. Firm
  2. Covered in sweet, saucy goodness
  3. Absent of that bastard of a herb, sage

Now the wife is not a cook (self-described), but she prides herself on her meatloaf and I have enjoyed her concoction for many years. Served with biscuits and brown gravy is the best way, but she cares for my heart and health too much to give me gravy.



The truth is brutal, but must be told. My wife’s loaf was beat fair and square by the daughter’s simple recipe. Fantastic was her special meat pie, with it’s special ingredient. Sophie's meal was goodness all the way around.



My little maid can make me meatloaf anytime. I look forward to the cold meatloaf sandwiches. Watching her in the kitchen was a delight. Not because of any misogynistic need to have a lady fulfill some antiquated ideology about female “duties”, but because she enjoyed making her Daddy something all her own. She made it too. She cracked the egg, mixed the ingredients with her bare hands (as any good meatloaf is made) and put it in the oven. All by her little lonesome. Mom was there, of course, to facilitate, but not to do. Hands-off was the mother.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ummm, and the recipe?

admin said...

You will have to ask the cook about that one. Far be it from me to give away the "secret" ingredient(s).

Busplunge said...

This is a nice, pleasant post to read. The cook was pleased, the meatloaf looked good....and she did all by herself! None of that "And I helped" stuff.

ah yes, cold meatloaf sandwiches, white bread and ketchup. mm mmm good.

Jason said...

That's wonderful, Jack. And now I'm hungry for a good cold meatloaf sandwich. :)