Thursday, January 07, 2010

COLD WEATHER COOKING

I made a mad dash to the grocery store yesterday to pick up some items in order to make some warm dishes for the family. No, it was not a run for French Toast supplies (milk, bread, eggs). I came home and made chili and vegetable beef soup. It's the vegetable beef soup recipe that I will share.


FAT JACK'S VEGGIE-BEEF SOUP – SLOW COOKER STYLE


1 small lean beef roast (I used eye of round roast)
1 large onion quartered
2 large potatoes peeled and chopped
2 packets Lipton onion soup mix
2 cups red wine
1 64 ounce jug V-8
1-2 packages of frozen veggies
3 garlic cloves chopped
1-2 cartons beef broth


Put the roast in a big crock pot. Add Lipton onion soup mix, onions and potatoes. Pour in red wine and then add some beef broth until 3/4 of the roast is submerged. Cook on low for 6-8 hours (or high for 4 hours).

When done, take out the roast and shred and chop it. My girls like the beef pretty small. Take out the onions and potatoes and cut them into smaller pieces if necessary. Add it all back to the crock pot. If your crock pot isn't big enough, then transfer to a stock pot. Throw all items in the pot and bring to a boil. Then simmer for an hour or so.

I use V-8 instead of tomato juice because I want the veggies and it increases the flavor. I don't measure out the V-8 or the beef broth. I just add both until it looks right.


We are going to serve it with grilled cheese, but crackers or french bread would be good.

No comments: