Thursday, June 22, 2006

Arent' We Special-ized

My friends, Paul and Linda, let me borrow their bicycle to see if I could stand to ride my big butt across town to school every day. I have found that I am really enjoying it. My backside and quads are not so happy. They are both crying foul, nearly a week later.

I think they are missing their baby.

As I’ve been riding, I’ve decided that this may very well become a serious mode of transportation for me outside of school: trips to Food for Less to get milk and bread, or maybe ride to a video store in the unlikely case that I change my mind and want a movie that I don’t already have from Netflix. (May we all pay homage to Netflix.)

As I can’t seem to convince the Inger-lepps household to let offer the bicycle on permanent loan status, I broke down and forked over the bread for my own peddles.

So here it is – the bicycle of choice. It’s an 18-inch (large) Specialized Expedition. Notice the large? Big Boy does everything large, my friends.





A&B Cycle took pity on this big boned feller and offered me a great deal. I am using my student loans to pay for it, but seeing how it is my primary mode of transport to and from school that seemed an appropriate use of the funds.

The picture here is from A&B’s website. Of course I totally geeked mine out, adding a back rack, a handlebar basket, a mirror, and a kickstand. That is a babe magnet, assuming the girls in question like their men fat, sweaty and nerdy.

I have to say, I had no idea how expensive bicycles were. Not that I am complaining. I rode it for the first time this morning and the ride was great, and I am okay with paying money for high quality. But I was surprised.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy you have sure shifted gears since working at the regional center! I am proud of you my man! Lenny

Anonymous said...

Great bike -- I like that it doesn't require you "crouch" over the handlebars.