Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Old Fat Jack Ain't What He Used To Be

I have changed, that is for sure. I may not have been thin in college, but I have gained a pound or so since my college days, 1991-1995. I am not the only one. College life has evolved over the last 11 years, or devolved depending on your outlook.

There are internet hot spots all over the Missouri State campus, something that wasn’t even a concept back in the old days. Blogging Spirits be blessed, as I am blogging this between classes.

There are shuttles to take one hither and thither, something that we didn’t even need at Drury College. (now known as a university.) Blackboard is a some kind of online classroom device to which the instructor posts his or her notes, power point presentations, classroom assignments and grades and God only knows what all. Apparently it is a requirement in most of my classes, but I don’t really know how to use it. I love gadgets, so I don’t mind. It doesn’t get me out of class.

I swear to the heavens, I have never seen so many pairs of flip-flops in my life. For that matter, I’ve never seen so many visible thongs outside of a club. I have to sit in the front row, cause I can’t concentrate with all those thin, little, sometimes jeweled slinkies peeking out to have a look-see.

There’s lots of positives to going back to school.

I’ve also been reminded in every class to shut off the cell phones. Some classes even drop you a letter grade if they go off. Unbelievable! We actually have to be lectured not to use our cell phones in class. Who does that?

For the love of all that is holy and good, we had a 5 minute lecture on paying attention in class.

A lecture.
On paying attention.
In a major-specific class.
Introduction to Teaching.

Judas Priest! Do people really have to be told to “act like you care” in the first class of their major? During my bachelors I was very excited in my English classes and paid as much attention as a hung-over fat guy in a non-air conditioned class, after just eating lunch, could do. I was still excited about what I was learning in my major.

In this Intro To Teaching class, participation is defined in the syllabus as paying attention and verbally participating. She actually told us that we have to at least “act like we care.”

I guess college just ain’t what it used to be.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Is that going to be your first lecture to your future students?

Larry Burkum said...

As you note in another post, college is a whole different world now. Speaking from experience I can assure you that many students have to be told to pay attention, to not use their cell phones, to not have conversations with their classmates, to not read newspapers and/or magazines during class, to not work on homework for other classes while in class, and a whole list of other things that should be common sense.

Has any one yet asked "Will this be on the test?" Wait for it. Along with "Are we doing anything important today?"

How many students have you observed NOT taking notes?

Welcome to college.

admin said...

Oh, Doclarry:

Tell me it ain't so. Tell me that kids don't bring magazines to class. That is unbelievably ego-centric and irresponsible. I mean, I understand the idea of drinking your way through college, but some of this is at a whole new level of not caring or taking responsibility of your own life. I partied, but I also cared about my education. Not as much as I do now, but Judas Priest.

No one has asked about the importance of the day, but even if you think it, you don't say it.

It seems that I am the only one taking notes during class. I keep thinking that maybe I am missing something cause it's only me.

Fortunately Jack doesn'tcare what he looks like or what the other student's think of him. I'm married and have already let myself go.

Now I'm in it for the education.

So do you teach at MSU or another university?

Larry Burkum said...

Previously taught at other universities for more than 15 years. Taking a break from college.

I do understand that things change. But the number of college students with an attitude of "entitlement" has increased dramatically in the past decade. As has the feeling of many professors that they must find ways to "entertain" their students in order to keep said students engaged in the class.

This is not true of all students, and probably not even the majority of students. But it has grown from a very tiny minority. It's worse at private institutions.