Friday, December 14, 2007

Beer & Beef Veggie Soup

Just in time for the great snow storm that is supposed to rock our world, I just made the best pot of vegetable beef soup I’ve ever made. Man sakes alive it was tasty stuff, so I thought I would share the recipe with you. The secret is the beer and the honey.

3-4 pound beef roast
1 box (2 packets) Lipton onion soup mix
1 onion chopped
1 cup of chopped celery
2 potatoes
1 cup of beef broth or so (in a box)
1 bottle beer
1 package frozen veggies
1 can (46 ounces) of V-8
¼ cup or so of honey

Trim excess fat off beef roast and place in a large crock pot. Add the onion, celery, 2 packages of onion soup mix, 1 cup or so of beef broth and 1 bottle of beer. Cook for 6 hours on low or until the roast is done.

Take the roast out and let it rest. Shred the beef with a fork and put back in crock pot. Combine all remaining ingredients in crock pot and set on high until bubbly and veggies are cooked to your satisfaction. I like my carrots to be a bit firm so I do not cook it that long. Serve with wheat crackers and grilled cheese sandwich. I have a big honking crock pot, but this makes more than it the old crock pot can handle. So after I cook the roast, I put some of the excess soup in a pot on the stove. After we eat dinner, there is usually enough gone that I can combine the soup in both containers.

No comments: