Saturday, April 12, 2008

Baltimore Art Teacher Attacked by Student

This video has been making the news. This time an actual attack was caught on tape.

An interesting tidbit caught my ear. The teacher claims she told the student that she would “defend” herself and that the principal chastised her for using a “trigger” word. Not long ago, I posted a link to video of a student attacking a school bus driver. In that case, the student told the bus driver that she was not allowed to touch the student. Yet, the student kept using her body to push, move and eventually strike the bus driver.

It occurs to me that students have a perception that under no circumstances can a teacher lay hands on a student. And in both cases, the student uses that information to her advantage, ultimately attacking the adult. I wonder, what society do we live in where children are allowed to attack an adult and yet the adult is not allowed to defend him or herself? Teachers should have the right to defend themselves against danger and attack. It’s a basic human right. I think schools have this wrong. And I think a teacher should explain to a student the consequences of the student’s actions (defense of self) if the student chooses to attempt bodily harm.

I make the case that our schools and society have taken the “hands off” mentality a tad too far. The bus driver is in the right to restrain a student from exiting the bus. The teacher has a right to pop a high school student if said student attacks. It should be rare, nearly nonexistent, but teachers have rights too, and the schools should stand up for teacher’s right to not be harmed by students.

4 comments:

Jason said...

Well said Jack.

Anonymous said...

OK.
Defend ourselves, yes. "Pop" a student...I am not sure I can go along. However, I strongly believe that every school teacher should be trained in self-defense. And not the typical do-as-much-damage-as you-can-and-run-away classes, either. Practical take down techniques that are more than simple pain-causers. More effective in controlling your attacker, and less likely to cause damage to your attacker.

Many special ed teachers who detail with severe behavioral disorders are obliged to take similar classes, and I think it the time has come for all of us. Personally, I practice aikido, and would not hesitate to put a student on the floor if he or she attacked me. It is good to know with some certainty that I could do that without causing harm.

ch-ching. My 2 (Euro) cents...which would be worth three in the U.S. these days.

And thanks, Jack for getting the word out. The school police didn't know about this? MMM-hmm... Maybe.

Thanks again, Jack.
Peace.

Sky Girl said...

I used to work at a residential treatment facility in another state where the management always blamed the staff if the staff were assaulted by the kids who lived there. These were kids who were there because of severe acting out behaviors and mental illness, but somehow their erratic behavior was always the fault of the staff members working there. And most of the time, it just wasn't true. The staff were doing everything they could do to help those kids.

Chatterness said...

This was not a "child" student. It was a grown up young lady taking dangerous punches that could have resulted in death for the teacher. I'm appalled that ANYONE would think the teacher acted in bad faith. As a mother, daughter, sister, aunt, etc...I would have defended my life. How was the teacher to know that she wasn't going to be stabbed or shot?