Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Same Old Teaching, Different Day

I was sitting in class today and we were discussing how to help students read. The instructor passed out a scenario about a little boy in 4th grade who was reading on a 2nd grade reading level. He struggled with everything: decoding, comprehension, fluency and speed. She split us into 10 groups of 4-6 students per group. We were to come up with strategies and interventions to help the child.

There were some great strategies presented, ways to help the boy learn to read and comprehend. The students suggested tests and evaluations, specialized instruction to teach him how to increase vocabulary.

Only one group suggested that the boy read things he was interested in reading! One. Out of 56 students, only 5 came up with or accepted the idea that an appropriate intervention to better reading is to … enjoy what you read. This included my group.

Oh I made the suggestion, mind you, but they completely disregarded me and focused on all the possible interventions they could cram down the poor boys gullet. I was furious at my group and the rest of the students.

All this training and theory and at the first opportunity they go back to the tried and true method of direct instruction. If a kid does not get it, then drill them to death till they do with never a thought about enjoy being equated with motivation and thus learning. Who gives a crap if the kid is engaged in the process of reading? So long as I can increase his score on any given evaluation, then I did my job.

Well I say it is garbage. The techniques are great and must be used. But first, we must help the child to discover the beauty of reading. Once established, the strategies and interventions will make sense to the child. If a kid hates reading, and the struggling ones usually do, all the interventions in the world will not create a life-long reader.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

crrrRRRRAAAAACCCKKKKkkkkkk...the sound of my head hitting the wall.
sshTHERUmplumbm...the sound of my unconscious body hitting the frigging floor.

heavy sigh

(If I were slick Willie, I would feel your pain.)

Busplunge said...

When I was a teacher, it wasn't that important to me what the students were reading, as long as they were reading.

Some of my collegues disagreed.

Eventually you will realize that there are some things that won't change and, unfortunately, the ivory tower is one of them. So you learn to work around it.

Welcome to the Club. You're doing well, Jack.

Betty B. said...

Jack, My nephew is struggling with reading, repeating the second grade because of it. When you try to help him with his reading, he becomes like a responsive wet noodle. I recently bought him some books about cars and basketball and wish I could find some about skateboarding as those are his current passions. I was a natural reader, teaching myself to read when my older sister started school, so it is difficult for me to comprehend why kids can't read. Thank you for caring about kids, you will be a great teacher.

Betty B. said...

Jack, Thanks for your suggestion. My nephew has two younger brothers, and I fear comic books might not hold up well at their house. I loved comic books when I was a kid. I'll try a couple and see how it goes.

admin said...

Betty,

Your nephews may be better off with trade paperbacks and graphic novels. They last longer.

Here is a list of great comic literature categorized by age:

http://graphicclassroom.blogspot.com/2008/01/best-comics-for-your-classroom-list-for.html

It is always being updated.