Sunday, October 04, 2009

THE NATIONAL SCENE

Plenty of people are chiming in on the Olympic committee's snub of Chicago and I have thoughts of my own. I think the snub was intentional but is more of a reaction against the United States than it is President Obama. That is to say, I think there is still a lingering anger worldwide against former President George Bush. Add to that, the fact that Obama still has not closed down Gitmo etc. and we have a world that is experiencing frustration at the US and our continued cowboy policies.

I think Obama has a lot of work to do – too much work, really – to rebuild our standing on the world stage and bring back credibility to the White House and to America. I don't know if he can do it, but I remain hopeful. I think a lot of things will have to change in order to achieve that goal. It will be interesting to see how he handles the Iran nuclear issue and Afghanistan.

It's his to do, sink or swim.

No comments: