Wednesday, December 20, 2006

My Possible Bag


The side-slung book bag is very popular on the college campus. Also known as a messenger bag or book bag, it is a satchel that actually dates back to the mid 1800’s. In those days, the mountain man carried a possible bag, in which he carried everything that he could possibly need for the day: black powder, powder measurer, flint and steel, lead balls and patch, a patch knife, and a skinning knife, among other things.

I carry my own book bag now. I use it when I have a light day at the university or just to hold my stuff when I am out and about. It is the latter that I am taking the heat. My friends, if you could call them that, love to make fun of my satchel. Yes, I do use it to carry my wallet, keys, cell phone, iPod, current book I am reading, and my writing journal. Any writer worth his or her salt carries something on which to write down ideas. You can see where this is going. These buddies of mine have developed several names for my book bag:
  1. European Male Handbag
  2. Purse
  3. Man Purse
  4. Murse

They are bastards one and all, but I expected it when I bought it. Actually, I saw the satchel at Target and thought it was pretty cool looking. Most people think it is an old Austrian or German military bag. Actually, it’s very manly -- as manly as a thing like that can look. I was admiring it when my wife spouted off that it was a man purse. I promptly put it back and walked away. I was done with it. After some thought, I went back and bought it a few days later. It’s very handy as a school bag. I’ve seen several other guys on campus carrying that very bag, and other bags similar to it. It gets no looks on campus. Off campus is another story. I carry it because it is practical and utilitarian and now I carry it to make a point. Metro? Maybe. Weird? Considering the region, probably so. I prefer to think of it as artsy and eccentric.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

If you have a dead animal on your head then it is a cool satchel. If not, I am afraid it is nothing but a man purse.

Anonymous said...

I carry a 500 S&W Pistol in my possible bag with a 4x scope, in case I meet a bear, or gangster on my way to work.

Anonymous said...

If you give a damn what others say, well that is another problem but the possibles bag has been carried since the 1700. Possible bag was for trapper and hunters where the same style of bag called a Haversack was an everyday fare of ware. They have been around a long time and a return is due.

Anonymous said...

To Larry Litle, Who cares what others think? And by the way, no one says anything to me because I have a dead animal on my head, because I usually also then have a pistol on my belt along with a knife, and am carrying my flint lock. Go ahead and say something. I dare them.