Friday, December 15, 2006

No More Teachers' Dirty Looks


My finals are finally finished and I am a happy man. I am ready to enjoy my Christmas break. Make no mistake. I have plenty of things to do over my break and I hope rest can be squeezed in there somewhere. You will notice that my blog posts have increased since my last final yesterday. MSU has finals on Saturdays, something I have to get used to. There are a lot of things I still have to get used to now that I’m back in college. One of which is the hypocrisy of professors and another is the myth of personal responsibility.

One of my professors called me stupid during one of my finals. Didn’t care for that, but I’m sure he thought he was being funny. The class gasped when he said it, so if it were a joke, then I don’t think anyone got it. I’ve also had an instructor stand outside our classroom while we filled out his performance evaluations. They were handed to him unsealed and he delivered them to wherever they go. I suspected something was up when he stood outside the classroom so I lied on my evaluation.

At the college level there is a systemic belief in student responsibility. The student is expected to behave like an adult and take responsibility for his or her actions. This includes acting ethically and morally. I’ve heard many professors complain about the irresponsibility and apathetic attitudes of today’s college youth. I can relate to their chagrin in that it seems that people do not respect their own education. However, the thing that is not talked about, the myth that exists, is that this responsibility is one sided. College professors have academic freedom, which allows them to behave in any manner that suits them, including being unethical, immoral and irresponsible. So long as the behaviors do not engage in discrimination, then they are free to do as they wish.

Those that complain are many times labeled as dissenters and troublemakers. I’ve seen it happen first hand when I was a field supervisor for practicum students. I have seen trouble makers and those mislabeled as troublemakers. Students have the responsibility to turn in work by the deadline; however, instructors have no obligation to turn back work in any timely manner. In fact, they don’t have to turn it back to you at all. I have an instructor who has only turned back two items during the entire semester. We received no feedback on our work or notes on how to improve. There was no way to dispute the grade. Professors have no obligation or responsibility to treat students with respect; however students are mandated to demonstrate respect. Some professors have an “attitude” grade built into the class.

I’ve actually had a professor tell me one thing and then grade me poorly on following his recommendations. In fact, I met with him during his assigned time, showed him my work, took notes during the meeting, followed his recommendations and received a zero on that portion of the project. When I met with this instructor about this, he complained that he gets this all the time and that he’s just going to quit meeting with students to keep this from happening. That is true. There have been students who have complained about this to him throughout the year and he tells them all that he never said such a thing and that it is their fault. Not usually true, because he has announced changes in class just to change his mind again (up to six times on one due date, which is verified in my notes). We’ve witnessed him doing it time and time again, but we say little. If he is tenured, in your department, and friends with the other professors, then you are simply hurting yourself. So we say little. We eat the zero and move along.

Professors wonder why students show no respect. That is due to many factors, one of which is the attitude of those who are supposed to be experts in their fields. Just like parenting, when we sow the seeds of poor instruction and irresponsibility, we will yield the same crop. I have admitted when I am wrong. I can admit that to students. My ego is not so fragile as to think that I am perfect. I have admitted wrongness to my daughter as well. I expect high quality, educated and dedicated instructors to follow those same ideals. A lofty goal, I know and one that will not be seen. But inside, I hold them to that anyway. More importantly, I hold myself to those same lofty goals.

If you are wondering, I did not raise any of these concerns to anyone. I care more about my education than being right. Sometimes, in the face of adversity, one has to ask the question: "Do I want to be right, or do I want to be happy?" Many times right does not make one happy. I choose my education and happiness over trying to chance a college professor's mind.

No comments: