Monday, April 30, 2007

Getting My Geek On


I am reveling in the fact that I am able to head to Kansas City (the Kansas side) for the annual Planet Comicon comic book convention. It’s an event that I’ve made before. Same crew plus a few. Friend Larry usually goes with me and we have a great time. Teen cousin, Austin, and friend are also going with us. What is a comicon without a teenager or two? Real teenagers that is, and not just grown up teenager wish-they-were like Larry and I.

Can’t speak for the rest of the bunch, but I have business to tend to. Some are aware, due to my obsessive talking on the subject, that I am writing my Master’s thesis on using comic books in the elementary classroom.

I have a blog dedicated to the subject, which is going exceptionally well for being nearly two months old. Comic creators, writers and publishers are contacting me and sending me books to review. I have a small pile that will get away with me if I don’t kick it in.

Jack’s wife is hacked off. She reports that her graduate paper was not quite so fun-filled. She churned stats while I go to comic book conventions. Such is the life of the old social worker. I’ve told the crew to expect an early arrival and late departure. We leave Springfield early in the a.m., probably about 7 a.m. I want to hit the tables and talk to creators and writers and publishers and let them know what I am doing. The free books is always nice, but more importantly I want to promote the use of quality comic literature in the elementary (and secondary) classroom. The only way to do that is to review the books so that other teachers and school librarians will have a resource to use when choosing their own books.

One writer that I am dying to meet is David Petersen, the writer and illustrator of the ever-popular MOUSE GUARD. I haven't reviewed this book personally; it is on my list. My personal budget is small and I can't afford too buy too many books. I have books sitting on the shelf that creators have sent me, so those come first.

No comments: