Saturday, March 01, 2008

Fat Jack Receives Subpoena

Months ago we were heading to church, putt-putt-putt, when my wife saw a man fighting a woman in the front yard, next to the street. I whipped the van around and pulled up to the curb. They were so engaged in the altercation that neither noticed.

The wife called the police while I hopped out of the van, and walked around the front stopping next to the grill. They were 25 yards or more from me. I wanted to make sure there was plenty of room to give him a way out so the altercation did not turn on me. That’s when I announced my presence and the fact that Skinny Kitty was calling the fuzz.

He stopped, looked at me and tore out of there and she did the same. I followed her and watched her enter an apartment nearby. I waited for the police and showed the office the apartment. He took care of it from there.

Today I received a subpoena from the prosecuting attorney. So I will have to take a day off from college and testify in the case. I do so happily knowing that our stopping may have saved her life.

Needless to say, we had to have a talk with our daughter about domestic abuse. She witnessed the whole thing, as did Skinny Kitty. Thank goodness for Skinny Kitty’s super-senses as she is the one who spotted the incident in the first place.

And I cannot help but wonder: If these two have children together, how is that child’s life impacted? How is he or she expected to excel in school, to learn anything, living in that kind of home? I had a professor recently who said that school is not about education. Rather, school is about relationships. What he meant, I think, is that before we can do anything, we have to love our students and develop relationships with them. Then, and only then, can we deal with learning. And for some kids, that is much harder and takes longer than others.

No comments: