Thursday, May 22, 2008

A Review of 'The Green Book: The Everyday Guide to Saving the Planet One Simple Step at a Time'

A Guest Column
By Skinny Kitty

For Earth Day, I wanted to learn how I could be more green. I don’t even recycle, so it felt a bit overwhelming. But, my 7-year-old daughter has pointed out my responsibilities regarding our planet. So, I read “The Green Book”. The book has commentary from 14 different stars and it focuses on “simple steps” that allow you to make the biggest positive planetary impact with the least of amount of effort. Basically, it helps me to determine how I can be as green as possible and still be selfish. ☺ The book was a very easy read, it dumbed the issues down for me and I now have an action plan of how I am going to be a little more green.

Here is a list of items the book suggested that I already do! I learned that by my doing the things listed below that I am already doing green things. I will continue to do the following:

  • Wash and reuse plastic bags.
  • Buy compact fluorescent bulbs.
  • Only run the dishwasher if it is a full load.
  • Use left over plastic bags for trash bags.
  • Turn off the tap water while brushing your teeth.
  • Recycle dry cleaning hangers.
  • Clean the dryer lint screen every time you use it (this also saves 5% on your electric bill).
  • Use a commercial car wash instead of washing your own car.
  • Garage sale unused items instead of throwing them away (make money).
  • Reuse gift wrapping paper and bags.
  • Read the newspaper online.
  • Use a digital camera (only printing the photos you want saves paper and chemicals).
  • Use GPS vs. a map.
  • When making copies, always make them double-sided.
  • Use a refillable pen.
  • Purchase energy star appliances.
  • Buy fresh fruit vs. canned (healthy too)
  • File your tax refund electronically.

I felt so much better learning that I was doing some things that were saving the environment. I created the list below of things that I am going to begin to do to be more green. There were so many more other things I could do (a whole book full of ideas), but this is what I feel comfortable with doing to start out with little sacrifice whatsoever. It’s not easy being green, but I am going to try the following things. This is my selfish attempt at being more green.

  • Recycle (after our garage sale, we will have space for the bins. We will be changing our trash company to do it. And we will be giving our money to a green-friendly business).
  • Turn off the lights when I am not using them (save money).
  • Recycle at work, too.
  • Set our thermostat one degree higher for AC and one degree lower for heating (we should save $100 per year).
  • Don’t flush every time you use the toilet…especially if someone is right there waiting to use it right after you.
  • Recycle junk mail paper.
  • Make one less trip to the dry cleaners (saves gas, plastic wrap, and hangers)
  • Don’t buy CDs; download tunes.
  • Don’t buy DVDs; rent them
  • Buy Blue-Ray DVDs (more eco-friendly made)
  • Take batteries and e-waste to a hazardous waste disposal site; don’t just throw them in the trash.
  • Unplug my chargers after using (they waste a great deal of “stand-by” energy).
  • Use both sides of paper.
  • Avoid plastics with PVC.
  • Use my ceramic mug at work and not disposable cups.
  • Take one less paper napkin.
  • Purchase recycled paper products.
  • Avoid using rubber bands (I didn’t know they were made from petroleum).
  • Use an eco-stapler (no metal staples).
  • Teleconference/video conference vs. travel.
  • Buy fair trade/rainforest alliance certified products (they practice sustainable agriculture).
  • Buy organic as much as possible (no use of pesticides and it supports green business).
  • Use beeswax or soy candles.
  • Use recycled wrapping paper and reusable gift bags.
  • Don’t ask for an ATM receipt.
  • Request automatic deposits and withdrawals from the bank.

I encourage you to read the book to learn how you can become a little more green.

(EDITOR'S NOTE: I must confess that liberal though we may be, we have never bothered to recycle, as Skinny Kinny pointed out. Even conservative blogger, Larry Litle, recycles. He's done so for a long time. For some reason this liberal-slanted family hasn't bothered. Frankly, it's rather hypocritical of us not to do it. In my opinion, recycling is the moral, ethical and Christian thing to do, but we have not done it for the same reason most people don't do it: We are too lazy. We have talked about it, but never gotten around to changing our trash service so that we can be better global citizens. I am not willing to store gobs of junk in my house then make the monthly trip to the recycling center. The times, well, they are a changin'. I felt that needed to be told. Consider this our public apology to the Earth.)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Jack,

That is great. We do most of those things you mentioned. A lot of it is out of frugality and conscience that the Earth is being lent to us by God. He wants us to take care of it. By the way a lot of conservatives - conserve. You liberals don't have the corner on that market.

admin said...

That's hard to remember, Larry, when all we hear from some conservatives is how science is stupid, global warming is a fraud and saving the planet is nothing but liberal, tree hugging nonsense.

Anonymous said...

Actually, NPR just had a story about this topic last month. I think it was Fresh Air, but I am not sure. It started with the grassroots support for Huckabee and showed how the new religious right is much more socially and environmentally conscious than the old guard. I found this from The Washing Post:

It will probably be more progressive -- but not liberal. A late July online poll of 1,000 evangelicals from Beliefnet.com found that 60 percent identified themselves as part of a political movement interested more in "protecting the environment, tackling HIV/AIDS, alleviating poverty and promoting human rights and less on abortion and homosexuality." Among the issues most concerning them were reducing poverty, improving health care and education, and stopping torture.

Their progressivism, however, only goes so far. Seventy percent still said that ending abortion was important or very important; almost 50 percent opposed same-sex marriage.

***

I will post the link manually because I am not so tech savvy. I confess. I use a Mac. If the computer doesn't offer to do it for me, I probably can't do it on my own.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/22/AR2008022202383_pf.html

admin said...

Caring for the Earth shouldn't be a liberal or conservative agenda item, but good common sense. I'm sorry I haven't done more earlier. It's shameful, really.

It's nice to have something that liberals and conservatives can agree on. Common ground is nice.

Thanks for sharing the article. I think that is wonderful news and helps remind those liberals who group all conservatives together in some evil bank, that there is a lot to be agreed upon.

Unknown said...

Jack,

Amen to that. I have been telling you for years that you are not upset with Christian conservatives but just the wackos extremes of the Christian conservatives. Just like I get upset with the wackos of the anti-religion left. Most people do not subscribe to the extremes. If they do, they will often change positions with life experience.

Unknown said...

Also just because someone does not agree with one part, like macro-evolution, does not mean that they discount all of science. They may differ on areas but still be a science person and agree with much of it.

admin said...

Right you are, Larry. For some reason there tends to be a movement within the radical Christian right to resist all of science because of the evolution business. That has been shown with global warming, too.

There is much gray, that is for sure.

Sky Girl said...

Once you start recycling, it just becomes second nature. We've done it a long time, and our kids won't allow anyone to throw out something that could be recycled. Good for you and your family for deciding to recycle!