Tuesday, July 28, 2009

HOW'S YOUR GARDEN, MARY?

We've made attempts to grow gardens before, with disappointing results. I'd almost given up hope for my thumb. Then the wife found the Earthbox. Our onions did terrible, all but one dead, but all is not lost. The peppers are doing fine as are the cucumbers, squash and cantaloupe. I don't think we've recouped the money we spent, like many claim, but we have had fresh, organic produce.

The summer isn't over yet, either. I'm hoping it really gets going soon, exploding with fruit. The squash, cucumbers and cantaloupe have blossoms a plenty so I anticipate some good eating very soon. I did notice our first cantalope today. It's a cute little guy, about the size of a Nerf baseball.

If it all works out well, I may purchase more Earthboxes next year and plant me some maters. I have decided to forget the poblano peppers from now on. It's easier to buy them in the store. I'll replace them with more red, yellow or orange bell peppers.

1 comment:

Busplunge said...

And, what you and your familia doesn't eat, you can always set up a road side stand and sell it!