Monday, July 31, 2006

Denison in a Dress

CHARLIE DENISON (REPUBLICAN)
There’s been a lot said about District 135, as there are several local bloggers who live in this area, including myself. I have been here eight years. Let me give you my update on the goings-on from my perspective.

In early 2004, my wife wrote Denison a letter asking him not to vote for the cuts to the Medical Assistance for Workers with Disabilities (MAWD) program. He wrote her back with a canned response about how responsible government had to make tough choices.

In April, my wife and I made a trip to Jefferson City to talk with our legislators. She stopped in to see Denison and beg him not to support the cuts. He was quick to say that it just had to be done. She asked him if he had talked with any of the groups who work with people with disabilities to see how this would really affect persons with disabilities. He explained that he was on the committee and didn’t need to ask anyone. At that time he promised her, with a figurative pat to the head, that if the cuts really proved to hurt anyone that he would personally carry the banner to fix it.

Well it wasn’t long until we saw just how people were being hurt. One of which was our friend, Tim, who was featured in several articles in the News-Leader and KY3. My wife wrote a letter, reminding him of his promise and asking him to support reinstating MAWD. Nothing. He sent us no response. Typical partisan politician – if he doesn’t agree with you, then he doesn’t care about you. This lack of response brings me to my next point.


NANCY HAGAN (DEMOCRAT)
Granny Geek and Chatter have both mentioned Nancy Hagan the Democrat in District 135. Well the last Democrat we had running was a real radical nut who referred to himself as a reverend. I don’t remember his name. What I remember was his far left extreme view points and his yelling during a public legislative forum that my agency hosted.

I was very excited to hear this year that I finally had a viable democratic candidate to vote for. The fact that she was a retired educator was icing on the cake. So I followed the link from Granny and checked her out. Her web page doesn’t offer much as far as real information or details on her views. She does offer her resume including her prestigious listing in the Who’s Who Among American Teachers. But I would some resemblance of a stance on something besides a word list of issues.

So far I have emailed her twice, explaining that I am excited to have a democrat to vote for, especially considering my unhappiness with Denison. I did ask for particulars on her stances, but I don’t think that is out of the ordinary. Nothing. No response. Even Denison bothered to write us back the first time. You would think that if a candidate gets two different correspondences from her base, that she would be on that. It’s been over a week. But no. I’m critical of Denison for doing that and I am critical of her.

I am left very disappointed and dejected. I can’t help but wonder if she doesn’t pay attention to me when she is running (and I lean toward the left) then will she listen to me if she is elected? Maybe she’s just on vacation or just super busy, but it seems that the primary goal of an election is to connect with constituents in your district. My correspondents were by email, but I did send my complete contact information. Maybe she’s nothing more than Denison in a Dress? I really hope not, but what else am I supposed to think?


DAVID DUNN (REPUBLICAN)
I know nothing of Dunn, except what I’ve seen on his website. I fired him an email tonight and told him, as I did Hagan, that I want to know more about some issues. You can bet that I will let you know if I hear from him.


(EDITOR'S NOTE: I had an email from David Dunn in my inbox Tuesday, Aug. 1 at 5:30 a.m. This was a one-day turn around. He asked to meet with me to answer my questions, which I plan to do as soon as finals are over. He gave me his cell phone number. First on the firing line will be his view regarding the MAWD program. A person's stance on that tells me a lot about who they really are. He will be reminded that I have a blog and what he says to me now, he will be held accountable for in the future.)

1 comment:

Betty B. said...

Jack, I'm also in the 135th. I've been here about 15 years. I supported Doug Harpool back in the day, and am supporting him for Missouri Senate. I switched parties to support Connie Wible, as I agreed with her on most of the issues. Since then I have not voted for a winner. I will follow your analysis with great interest.