Sunday, July 09, 2006

Turn About Is Fair Play

(Cousin Austin at Rock Fest 2006)

Young cousin Austin doesn’t realize it, but he is being charged a fee, a very painful fee, for future services to be rendered. A teen focused on concerts and musical artists, he begs to go to see metal bands. And who takes him, but Big Jack. After all, who wants to go to see Rob Zombie with their Mom? I am glad to oblige, as I know this will eventually come home to roost and how sweet that shall be.

I take him here and there to see this artist and that. Little does he know that some day my daughter will be a teen and she will want to go see some boy band singing their American Idol drivel, melting her heart and leaving her a puddle of emotion on the floor.

I shan’t be taking her. Oh no dear readers. Who wants to go see X Boy Band with their Dad? Not a 13- or 15-year-old girl, I can assure you of that. No, she will need someone older than she, but not too old, to take her. Someone who has been to concerts. Someone who is responsible enough to take her and not let her drink or throw her top on stage. But someone cool enough to be seen with. Someone like an older teen cousin maybe just out of college.

It won’t be me asking him. It will be her calling up and asking if he will take her to her favorite band ever: Billy-Boy Pretty Eyes and the Five Boy Toys. Who can no to those sweet doe eyes, begging to see her the best band ever? Of course she will want to take her girlfriends.

Best of all, I will be spared the pain of sitting through a gaggle of girls crying, screaming, hair tossing at the mere presence of Billy Boy. She will, undoubtedly, want to be close to stage where she can see the sweat gleaming off Billy Boys hairless chest. Maybe he will reach out and touch her hand? I’m sure he will think to remember the ear plugs this time.

He may debate, saying that he doesn’t like the bands, referring back when I took him to concerts and noting that I did enjoy them. He will discover, as you dear readers already know, that it isn’t about liking the band. It’s about loving the kid and giving them something that is important to them. It’s about carving out an experience, a sharing of something wonderful – a memory of doing something together.

I love it when a plan comes together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice long-term planning there!