Thursday, March 06, 2008

If We Can See Your Crack …

Starting next week I am placed in an elementary school somewhere in the Ozarks, where I will work two full days a week for eight weeks. I am so excited to work with kids and learn from a teacher. I love my experiences in the schools.

Today, our professors were preparing us for our practicum, going over rules and procedures and expectations. The instructors give us guidance on professional demeanor and dress. One of the instructors tells us to think about our dress before we head into the classrooms. Check. We cannot wear jeans. Check. Girls can wear denim skirts, but no one can wear denim pants. Check. A little strange, but check. We should, in their opinion, bend over while at home. If our underwear or, god forbid, our crack shows, then we are to change clothes. Girls are to bend over and check their chests. Fifth grade boys love to sneak peaks, don’t you know.

I pipe up and ask if my leather hot pants are appropriate for the classroom.. I stumped the professor. Caught her off guard. She laughed, they laughed. I suspect my point was not lost on the instructors. What a sad state of affairs it is when near graduate, soon-to-be professionals in their field, have to be told not to let their crack or boobs show at school. I don’t fault the teachers. They have undoubtedly ran into problems with this before. So now they tell us and now we know. Why didn’t the students know that before hand? Tit bibs and ass cracks do not qualify as appropriate for professional dress. Yes, and the sun is a big, hot object.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was in the school system for two years. Yes this talk is needed. Yes it is sad that professional people do not have more sense. This is also true in corporations. Many young adults have not been properly educated on appropriate attire in the professional community. (I blame that evil Rock and Roll Music- LOL)