Sunday, July 09, 2006

Mr. Zombie Puts On A Fine Concert

(Rob Zombie letting it all bleed out)

Ju-das Priest!

I never went to concerts in high school and college. I don’t really know why; it’s just not something that I did. Now I did go to a Skid Row-Pantera concert once at Swiss Villa in Branson, but it’s not a concert that I planned on. My friend, Jason, had a ticket and asked me to go. He also drug me to a Sawyer Brown concert once too, but again it not a planned event -- extra ticket and all.

In college, I never had time or money enough to go to concerts and I never went out of my way to find out when bands were coming to town. Eleven years later, my cousin, Austin, comes along and wants to go to concerts. Too young to go by himself and too old to go with his Mom, he needs an outlet. By this time, he and I starting to become close. We both love horror and sci-fi, metal and all things. It’s a 15-year-old that makes plans for us to go to concerts.

First I took him to see GWAR, an old monster metal band who uses latex appliances to dress up like monsters and creatures and such. They spend their time shooting fake blood and urine into the audience. If you don’t get it, just keep in mind that he did and we had a great time.

When we found out that Rob Zombie, his favorite metal artist of all time, was coming to Springfield’s Rock Fest then we had to get tickets. Now I spend a lot of my weekends working on homework. I have a test every Monday. Wouldn’t you know it, but I have two tests tomorrow. I spent Friday (I don’t have class on Fridays) making study guides for my tests and freed me up to spend time with him on Saturday.

My childhood friend, Jason, works in Branson. He works at Shepard of the Hills at night with Austin. He decided to come with us. I really haven’t seen Jason in a long time. We reminisced about old times and old friends. I’ve known him since I was really young. Our parents were best friends and we went to church together and as teens we had plenty of illegal and immoral experiences. It was nice to get together with him and corrupt a new generation.

As for the venue itself, once you entered you could not leave unless you wanted to pay another $40. You could not bring in chairs, blankets or coolers. So we didn’t show up until later when Shinedown got on stage. We didn’t really want to stand up for 8 hours. We watched Shinedown, Anthrax and Rob Zombie.

(Austin's favorite guitarist, John 5)

As someone who previous worked with persons with disabilities, I was glad to see the number of people with disabilities at the concert. I love to see friends and family include folks with disabilities in all aspects of life.

We stood near the middle-rear of the concert. The medic station was in clear view and we saw several folks being hauled out, mostly from drinking (or toking) too much. A typical concert, there was a fair amount of hooch, smoke, ganga, weed, pot, dope, grass, weasel, or creeper floating in the air. But that’s typical of any concert. My wife noticed it at the Air Supply concert she went to when she was a kid.

We were a bit apprehensive about going toward the stage. The moshing was nuts at GWAR and that was a tiny venue downtown. I started feeling bad for Austin. It was Rob Zombie after all. During Anthrax, I headed into the crowd near the stage, scoped it out, then went back and told him I would take him down there. It was folks. Even though this was outside, it was really loud. We watched Anthrax and people loved it, but it didn’t get stupid. After Anthrax came Rob Zombie. When Anthrax stopped, Austin started making his way closer to the stage, slippery little devil. I squeezed through the crowd to keep up. Once we got as close to the stage as we could, people started to crowd in. We couldn’t hard move our arms. We figured once Mr. Zombie started that it would get nuts what with all the moshing and pushing and craziness. So we were going to say for the first song. I was given strict instructions, take a least one pic of Mr. Zombie so he could show his friends how close he was to the stage. We never left our spot; we stayed for the entire show, and I took 113 shots. Of which I took 31 keepers.

I don’t know about you, but I would not take my 4- or 6-year-old to RockFest. I don’t know that I would take my 8- to 10-year-old, but I sure as Hell wouldn’t take a kindergartener. We did see a number of children and kids. Considering all the girls dressed like hookers (or Spice Girls, as Austin put it), the amount of beer and liquor being served and the pot in the air, I don’t know that I would bring my real little one. Surprisingly, there weren’t many fights at all. Just a couple. There were plenty of police and security on hand. It was billed as an all-ages venue, but better judgment should prevail, leaving the babies at home. Actually there was one pregnant lady and one nursing there, come to think of it.

I guess Austin and I (and now Jason) have found something that we like to do together. It’s nice to have something to share, as most of my friends don’t like metal and wouldn’t go to a concert like that.

Here’s the Rob Zombie play list, which Austin and Jason believe is in correct order:
  1. Halloween Theme
  2. Sawdust in the blood
  3. American Witch
  4. Demon Speeding
  5. Living Dead Girl
  6. Demonoid Phenomenon
  7. More Human than Human
  8. Never Gonna Stop
  9. House of 1000 Corpses
  10. Let it all Bleed Out
  11. Foxy Foxy
  12. SuperBeast
  13. Dragula
  14. Thunder Kiss 65
  15. Devils Rejects
  16. Lords of Salem

No comments: